Urgent help sought!!!!

Have a questions on finishing, refinishing, or restoring <br />wood furniture or cabinetry? This is the place to ask!

Moderators: AsonnyA, Bob Boardman

byrolinda
Newcomer
Newcomer

Urgent help sought!!!!

Post by byrolinda »

I have a Victorian grand piano of high quality which I love and want to put in good order . Following essential repairs I have stripped the spruce soundboard (with a scraper) and have sealed with 3 'rubbing' coats of shellac. The finish, for acoustical and historical reasons needs to be a shellac based varnish. There are unsightly patches (a common problem when refinishing spruce I gather from piano professionals). I am not happy with this look. What I would like to do is to give the whole thing a 'glaze' or 'wash' to even out the colour. I feel that a certain amount of opacity would be good, and I would like to add more of an amber tint to match the original finish which still exists in inaccessible areas around the perifery of the board. .. I think a slightly 'milky' look such as happens to old shellac would be ideal.

I feel close to a solution, but cannot quite crack it. I tried adding a little whiting and earth pigment to my spirit varnish which almost worked, but with fast drying I ended up with different blotches wherever there was over brushing, so it had to be removed. It is easy to achieve the desired effect with water based products, but these do not generally sit comfortably on top of my necessary shellac base coats.

I even tried a homemade concoction of very strong tea and muscovado sugar which looked great, but does not harden suffieciently to allow me to over-coat it with shellac, and I had concerns about it's attracting moisture.

Any thoughts ... PLEASE! I feel as if it ought to be easy, but the solution evades me and instrumental repairers have so far failed to come up with a solution which gives a good result. I have been trying to solve this problem for weeks! :(