broken old hairdresser's mirror

Have a questions on finishing, refinishing, or restoring <br />wood furniture or cabinetry? This is the place to ask!

Moderators: AsonnyA, Bob Boardman

loimaginario
Newcomer
Newcomer

broken old hairdresser's mirror

Post by loimaginario »

Hello everyone. I'm new to the forum, and i joined because i have an old hairdresser's mirror that was normally hanging on my wall. The frame is about 3 feet and a half tall and three feet wide. It is really thick, just the mirror itself is about half an inch thick and the frame makes about four inches. Very heavy.

Yesterday evening i came back home and the frame was broken in two, only the top part was attached still to the hook, the rest was on the floor. The wood was just too old and it cracked on the weight. It was about three feet off the floor and miraculously the mirror itself did not break with the falling! I usually repair everything myself at home so i tried to do the same with this, i cleaned the surfaces really well and put a good layer of neoprene, which is not enough to support the weight of the whole thing, so i tried to fortify it with nails, but the wood is hard to nail, and it split again when i was doing that.

Do you think that there's anything i can do for my mirror? I would appreciate any help or advice.

Thank you

Felipe