What is this, and what happened to it?

Have a questions on finishing, refinishing, or restoring <br />wood furniture or cabinetry? This is the place to ask!

Moderators: AsonnyA, Bob Boardman

sgendreau
Newcomer
Newcomer

What is this, and what happened to it?

Post by sgendreau »

I would like to refinish/restore this, but it would help to know what it originally looked like:
small bachelor chest front smaller.jpg
small bachelor chest front smaller.jpg (35.79 KiB) Viewed 2547 times
The small drawers all match, but the rest of the case front doesn't match them very well and is much less well made.
small bachelor chest front smaller.jpg
small bachelor chest front smaller.jpg (35.79 KiB) Viewed 2547 times
bachelor chest rear 111k.jpg
bachelor chest rear 111k.jpg (33.35 KiB) Viewed 2547 times
The board at right seems newer. The feet look original.
bachelor chest dovetails 111k.jpg
bachelor chest dovetails 111k.jpg (30.39 KiB) Viewed 2547 times
I'm just a newbie who's looked at a few pictures. Input from more experienced eyes would be MUCH appreciated.
sgendreau
Newcomer
Newcomer

Re: What is this, and what happened to it?

Post by sgendreau »

PS -- when I resized these photos in Irfanview, it said they were 111kb each. The postings say they are 37 kb. Which is right, and why the discrepancy? I'd love to post larger versions.
sgendreau
Newcomer
Newcomer

Re: What is this, and what happened to it?

Post by sgendreau »

Hello?

To this complete novice, it looks as though it started as a Chippendale bachelor chest, though I've never seen one so small -- it's only about 24 inches high and wide now. Then someone maybe tried to make it bigger? -- put another board on the back, enlarged the case front frame (very poorly) and I suppose they must also have replaced the top, though I don't know enough about trim to judge that. The feet seem to match the drawer fronts and case sides. The underside has an extra board added as well. I don't know why anyone would go to so much trouble to make this one bigger instead of just building a new one, but they didn't have the skills and completely desecrated it. I found this on craigslist and bought it very cheaply because I thought trying to put it back the way it was would make a good educational exercise.

Or am I way off?