Table Restoration

Have a questions on finishing, refinishing, or restoring <br />wood furniture or cabinetry? This is the place to ask!

Moderators: AsonnyA, Bob Boardman

hubertc
Newcomer
Newcomer

Table Restoration

Post by hubertc »

I'm trying to restore a table and looking to do some veneer repairs. Any ideas please what wood this veneer might be? Sorry it was difficult to photograph, so I've included 2 photos. This is after it has been stripped back with Citristrip and then cleaned with mineral spirits.
Attachments
IMG_2494.jpg
IMG_2494.jpg (93.53 KiB) Viewed 3712 times
IMG_2496.jpg
IMG_2496.jpg (78.76 KiB) Viewed 3712 times
Bob Boardman
Refinish/Repair Wiz
Refinish/Repair Wiz

Re: Table Restoration

Post by Bob Boardman »

I’m guessing at Mahoghany
Bob "Boardman" Borders
hubertc
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by hubertc »

Thanks Bob!
hubertc
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by hubertc »

Now I just need to decide whether to try veneer repair or just do wood filler :lol:
AsonnyA
Refinish/Repair Wiz
Refinish/Repair Wiz

Post by AsonnyA »

I think using a typical wood filler would be hard to color match, might be an eye sore. Seems you have some fairly deep scratches. As to the pics, I don't see any significant areas missing veneer or having extreme severe physical damage, though some scratches look nasty.

Is it the scratches, only, you wanted to fill? As to those scratches, once cleaned up, in a more inconspicuous area (?), dampen a small scratch area with household clear (not the green one) alcohol (has 97% water) using a Q-tip. Allow the area to swell, raise. See if that helps the wood swelling to fill the scratch depth. The wetness won't harm your wood. You can apply a little moderate heat using the front tip of a clothes iron.

A filler I've used is shellac sticks. You melt the stick and apply (dab) the "liquid" into the scratch, sand smooth when dry (dries fast, 15 seconds?). Takes some practice using shellac sticks. Practice on some scrap wood. A dedicated woodworkers store should have shellac sticks. I doubt the box stores carries them. You can make your own filler with mahogany saw dust and shellac... make a paste. Problem with this is shellac dries really fast. Mix small amounts and apply fast to small areas at a time. When I make filler paste, I sift the sawdust through a screen to get only really fine particles.

Hope this helps.
Sonny
hubertc
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by hubertc »

Thanks Sonny for the tips!

Yeah I was wondering whether I could maybe raise the scratches, at least by a bit. I was also thinking of making my own filler, so good to know that’s a reasonable approach. Will give those things a go! There is actually some veneer damage, I will post a photo.