Black Spots Appeared While Stripping Veneer

Have a questions on finishing, refinishing, or restoring <br />wood furniture or cabinetry? This is the place to ask!

Moderators: AsonnyA, Bob Boardman

JuliusTweezer
Newcomer
Newcomer

Black Spots Appeared While Stripping Veneer

Postby JuliusTweezer » Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:24 pm

I've looked through a lot of posts and haven't found one that answered my question. What happened was I was in the process of stripping and ran out. I wanted to reapply where it was drying up and grabbed some other chemical stripper I had. Everywhere I applied the different stain is where these black spots showed up. My question is should I use laundry bleach? I've tested some on the bottom and it didn't effect the veneer, it didn't do anything really. I'm not really able to sand much more because one leaf already came with a thin spot on the veneer that I'll just have to color in to match the final stain. download/file.php?mode=view&id=1756

Thank you download/file.php?mode=view&id=1755
Attachments
phpigBknnAM.jpg
phpigBknnAM.jpg (86.2 KiB) Viewed 256 times
phpc7826dAM.jpg
phpc7826dAM.jpg (80.87 KiB) Viewed 256 times

JuliusTweezer
Newcomer
Newcomer

Re: Black Spots Appeared While Stripping Veneer

Postby JuliusTweezer » Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:29 pm

I also have a bubble on the main table. it showed up after stripping using a chemical strip. Should I use an exacto knife and try to get some wood glue under there and put constant pressure on it? Is there any glue that anyone recommends?

Thank you
Attachments
Bub.jpg
Bub.jpg (72.57 KiB) Viewed 252 times

Bob Boardman
Refinish/Repair Wiz
Refinish/Repair Wiz

Re: Black Spots Appeared While Stripping Veneer

Postby Bob Boardman » Fri May 07, 2021 9:02 am

First I'd repair the bubble using the method you describe. Make sure to get the glue as far into the bubble as possible. Unwind a paper clip and use that to spread glue under the bubble. Place a heavy weight on the spot till it dries. Then light sand to remove any excess surface glue

Next, I'd reapply a new coat of stripper to the entire surface. This should get rid of the spots.
Let us know how you make out
Bob "Boardman" Borders

Return to “Q&A Forum”