Barrister bookcase doors

Have a questions on finishing, refinishing, or restoring <br />wood furniture or cabinetry? This is the place to ask!

Moderators: AsonnyA, Bob Boardman

joannajw
Newcomer
Newcomer

Barrister bookcase doors

Postby joannajw » Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:39 pm

The glass fell out of one of the bookcase doors while it was in the open/up position so I need to remove the door in order to replace the glass. I cannot get it out. The door slides up and back on a wooden dowel each side in a groove. You would think the groove would have a notch or wider opening at one end in order to get the dowel out but it doesn't so I see no way of freeing the dowels in order to get the door off. Is it supposed to be removable?
I suppose you could replace the glass from below but it would take 2 people and I also have to replace some of the clips that hold it in which would mean doing so upside down.

AsonnyA
Refinish/Repair Wiz
Refinish/Repair Wiz

Re: Barrister bookcase doors

Postby AsonnyA » Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:12 am

Without seeing it, it may be hard to figure out what needs to be done. There's a multitude of designs of those cabinets.

Close the door and look on the top edge or on the side (at the top) to see if there is some sort of small metal cover, to remove or to open it to access. If there is no access port on the door, look inside the carcass track and see it there is some sort of removable access port.

I would assume the/an access port, of some kind for allowing the removal of the door, would be on the door, itself, on the door's edge, rather than somewhere on the cabinet carcass.

Can you access the dowels in some capacity? One or both of the dowels may be spring loaded. Can you access and depress a dowel to see if it depresses inward, allowing removal from its track?

Sonny

joannajw
Newcomer
Newcomer

Re: Barrister bookcase doors

Postby joannajw » Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:02 am

Thanks for the reply. I inspected the doors again. There is no access to the dowels at all and they are not spring loaded. As far as I can see one of the side panels of the bookcase would have had to be installed after the doors were in place. Not logical I know but I cannot see how they could ever have been inserted after the fact. I think I will have to try and re-insert the glass upside down!

Return to “Q&A Forum”