Peppermint oil finish damage on table

Have a questions on finishing, refinishing, or restoring <br />wood furniture or cabinetry? This is the place to ask!

Moderators: AsonnyA, Bob Boardman

mwigdahl
Newcomer
Newcomer

Peppermint oil finish damage on table

Postby mwigdahl » Fri Dec 25, 2020 1:19 pm

I have a finished dining room table that now has a ring in the finish due to peppermint oil being on the bottom of a cup. I suspect the finish is polyurethane, but I'm not sure. The ring has a texture to it -- the cup had adhered to the table and although we were able to ease it loose, it apparently took a bit of the finish material with it.

The damage doesn't appear to go down to the wood. Do I have any options here to smooth the finish out over the ring or otherwise do a localized repair on the finish?

Matt

mwigdahl
Newcomer
Newcomer

Re: Peppermint oil finish damage on table

Postby mwigdahl » Sat Dec 26, 2020 1:32 pm

Here is a picture of the damage.

Bob Boardman
Refinish/Repair Wiz
Refinish/Repair Wiz

Postby Bob Boardman » Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:25 am

The image didn't come thru, but doing a spot repair takes a fair amount of skill and is usually best done by a pro. Some of the reasons are:

- the finish is most likely not poly. I say this because poly (or any finish called 'varnish') is quite durable and wouldn't show this type of damage.
- Based on the damage you describe the finish is probably some type of lacquer. Dip a cotton swab in lacquer thinner and rub on a spot near the damage. If it gets soft, sticky or gummy, it's common NC lacquer. While NC lacquer will "dissolve' and blend into existing lacquer, lacquer's used by manufacturers (Catalyzed lacquers) don't.
- Usually damage like you describe also removes color, be it dye or stain placed on to the wood, mixed into the finish, or a toning coat. Getting a good match is difficult unless you have a lot of experience color matching.

Depending on type and degree of damage you will probably be better off stripping the entire surface and re-coloring and refinishing
Bob "Boardman" Borders

mwigdahl
Newcomer
Newcomer

Postby mwigdahl » Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:05 pm

table ring.jpg
table ring.jpg (83.91 KiB) Viewed 905 times

This might work better than my link. Thanks for the advice, sounds like anything I do is likely to worsen the appearance. I'll get going on researching refinishing!

Bob Boardman
Refinish/Repair Wiz
Refinish/Repair Wiz

Postby Bob Boardman » Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:40 pm

Thanks for the pic. Based on seeing this, I think I'm going to change my response slightly.

This is a down and dirty way to make the damage look less conspicuous. It's NOT a repair, rather a way to help hide damage.

Go to an art supply store and buy a bunch of different color brown markers (they're a couple bucks each). Ideally you want 1 or 2 markers that are same/close to color of table, and a couple that are lighter in color and a couple that are darker in color.

Rub the markers over the spots where you've lost color. Once you've rubbed it over an area, don't worry if you've "gone outside the lines, because if you use a paper towel you can rub off excess color. Before doing this on table top, test on the underside of table if it's finished or the inside of a leg. It may take a few tries, but you should be able to repair the color damage.

Let us know how you make out
Bob "Boardman" Borders

danielphillipsdaniel
Newcomer
Newcomer

Postby danielphillipsdaniel » Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:36 am

i dont agree with this

Return to “Q&A Forum”