What is This Groove Around the Back of This Chair?

Have a questions on finishing, refinishing, or restoring <br />wood furniture or cabinetry? This is the place to ask!

Moderators: AsonnyA, Bob Boardman

QuiteRandomMel
Newcomer
Newcomer

What is This Groove Around the Back of This Chair?

Postby QuiteRandomMel » Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:15 pm

Hello!! I rescued this chair from the side of the road and I am trying to refinish it. Can anyone tell me what this groove is around the back of the chair? It's about 1/2 inches wide & 1/4 inches deep. It is full of small holes from either tacks or staples. I'm uncertain how this groove plays into the upholstery of this chairback.

Any suggestions or advice is appreciated. Thank you :D

Apologies for the photo quality, I had to downgrade the quality to meet the upload requirements.
Attachments
20201223_110148.jpg
20201223_110148.jpg (12.8 KiB) Viewed 1094 times
20201223_110310.jpg
20201223_110310.jpg (11.96 KiB) Viewed 1094 times

Bob Boardman
Refinish/Repair Wiz
Refinish/Repair Wiz

Re: What is This Groove Around the Back of This Chair?

Postby Bob Boardman » Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:44 pm

Can't really see the pics, but I believe that cane or wicker was used on the seat and back. The holes are where the wicker would have been woven thru, and the cut strip is where a piece of cord or wicker was inserted to hide some of the holes
Bob "Boardman" Borders

AsonnyA
Refinish/Repair Wiz
Refinish/Repair Wiz

Postby AsonnyA » Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:13 pm

The small holes are probably what you suspect, staple or tack holes. For upholstering, if you think you'll need pics for guidance, I'm working on a similar project now. The wood in/of the groove appears to still be solid (not too pitted by the staple/tack holes), but I can't see exactly all what's there, the condition. If there are some areas that are "chewed up", fill the areas with epoxy or some good filler in those places, i.e., repair the wood if need be.

Guessing - Conservatively, it'll take a yard and a half of fabric for upholstery. 27"L X 30"W for the seat; 20"L X 18"W for two backrest panels.
Before you start your reupholstering, clean up, repair the chair frame (loose joints), if need be, and refinish the woodwork.

That groove space is for attaching your new upholstery.
1) First, one fabric panel will be attached facing to the back.
2) Next you'll attach a thin layer of padding.
3) Next you'll attach a firm support - a sheet of somewhat heavy cloth, burlap, or some other firm support. You don't want to depend on your fabric for backrest support, so you need to install something with a little more beef.
4) Next you'll install a good/reasonable amount of padding (to your liking). You decide the amount of padding (puffiness of the backrest cushion). Don't over due the padding. You don't want a balloon effect (that kind/amount of puffiness) for that style of chair.
5) Next, you'll install the other fabric panel facing forward.
6) Next you'll install a trim feature - gimp, double cording or decorative nails. Gimp may be easiest if you've never upholstered before.

Is the seat a board to be upholstered? Or is the board for the seat missing? If missing, you'll need to cut a new board. Or the seat support may be of another application (springs or jute webbing support?). I suspect a board support.... Those corner triangle braces on the inside of the seat frame may be for a seat board. Do those corner braces have a screw hole in them, for securing a board seat support? I can't see exactly what is there.

The above is a start.

Sonny

Bob Boardman
Refinish/Repair Wiz
Refinish/Repair Wiz

Postby Bob Boardman » Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:23 pm

Sonny. Thanks for this. I couldn’t see the pics well and thought the holes were larger has would have been used in caning. Good job!! Merry Christmas
Bob "Boardman" Borders

AsonnyA
Refinish/Repair Wiz
Refinish/Repair Wiz

Postby AsonnyA » Thu Dec 24, 2020 6:20 pm

Yeah, I couldn't see them well, either. My first thought was caning holes, but I expected to be able to see those size holes. And when OP said groove, I initially though pressed-in cane. The style of the chair guided away from the caning rationale. I'd like to see better seat frame details, to get a better grasp for that upholstering.

It's probably, on my part at least, the Pennsylvania Dutch alcoholic eggnog that rendered the error in my initial thinking.

Merry Christmas to you, as well.
Sonny

Bob Boardman
Refinish/Repair Wiz
Refinish/Repair Wiz

Postby Bob Boardman » Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:15 pm

Sonny. At sometime we’re gonna have to share a Pennsylvania Egg Nog. Cheers!
Bob "Boardman" Borders

Return to “Q&A Forum”