Reclaimed wood look - cabinet

Have a questions on finishing, refinishing, or restoring <br />wood furniture or cabinetry? This is the place to ask!

Moderators: AsonnyA, Bob Boardman

dmbcrsh
Newcomer
Newcomer

Reclaimed wood look - cabinet

Postby dmbcrsh » Fri Nov 06, 2020 2:14 pm

I just bought this entryway cabinet and want to fix a couple spots on it. Trying to get some tips on how to do it. Not sure how I am going to get a color to match or closely match it. I hope someone could please direct me in the right direction on how to fix this. There is another spot similar on one of the doors bottom edges.

Unfortunately I am unable to resize the pictures from 1mb to 120KiB. .Not sure how to do that.

Thank you

Bob Boardman
Refinish/Repair Wiz
Refinish/Repair Wiz

Re: Reclaimed wood look - cabinet

Postby Bob Boardman » Fri Nov 06, 2020 2:31 pm

Try using 'crop' feature and get rid of space around the areas you want to show.
Bob "Boardman" Borders

dmbcrsh
Newcomer
Newcomer

Postby dmbcrsh » Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:27 pm

I figured it out. Used the Cropping and in Paint you can click on Canvas and make the canvas smaller.

Here's the Top of the cabinet where its chipped out
Attachments
Top Edge chip.jpg
Top Edge chip.jpg (95.59 KiB) Viewed 1603 times

dmbcrsh
Newcomer
Newcomer

Postby dmbcrsh » Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:29 pm

Here's the door edge that's damaged
Attachments
door chip2.jpg
door chip2.jpg (24.73 KiB) Viewed 1603 times

Bob Boardman
Refinish/Repair Wiz
Refinish/Repair Wiz

Postby Bob Boardman » Sat Nov 07, 2020 11:12 am

You're gonna have a rough time matching color and grain/saw marks, but here goes.

Get a piece of wood that's 10" long and an inch or two wider that the door. Wrap it in plastic wrap. Get wood filler and follow can directions. Apply more than you need to damaged section. Push the plastic wrapped wood against the edge. This will force excess out and give you a relatively smooth edge. Figure out a way to attach the wrapped piece of wood to door - rope it, nail it, or if you have a very wide clamp, clamp it. This is gonna stay in place until filler dries. Next get a spackle knife or putty knife and push down on the excess that has come out when you squeezed the wrapped wood against the edge. This will help fill any voids. Then use the putty knife to smooth any filler so that it's relatively level with the door surface. Many fillers shrink when drying, so it's a good idea not to make it too smooth compared to the surface. After 20 minutes or so take a sharp knife and use the tip to make little slits in this surface so that it has grain/saw marks similar to surrounding area.
Let us know how you make out.
Bob "Boardman" Borders

dmbcrsh
Newcomer
Newcomer

Postby dmbcrsh » Sat Nov 07, 2020 1:58 pm

Bob,
Thank you for your reply. I will try it out. How would I match or come close to the color of the wood?

Bob Boardman
Refinish/Repair Wiz
Refinish/Repair Wiz

Postby Bob Boardman » Sat Nov 07, 2020 2:42 pm

I wish I had an easy answer, but the only way is trial and error. Test on scrap wood first
Bob "Boardman" Borders

dmbcrsh
Newcomer
Newcomer

Postby dmbcrsh » Sat Nov 07, 2020 3:05 pm

Thank you Bob for your time and assistance.

Return to “Q&A Forum”