Yakisugi Japanese Scorched Wood Finish

Have a questions on finishing, refinishing, or restoring <br />wood furniture or cabinetry? This is the place to ask!

Moderators: AsonnyA, Bob Boardman

grainknot
Newcomer
Newcomer

Yakisugi Japanese Scorched Wood Finish

Postby grainknot » Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:33 am

Hi, I'm new here, but just wondered if anyone has any experience scorching wood like the japanese do to preserve timber? I love the look of it and want to use it on a project. Are there any woods it's better to use. What techniques are required to finish - just sanding.

Any help, advice greatly appreciated.

AsonnyA
Refinish/Repair Wiz
Refinish/Repair Wiz

Re: Yakisugi Japanese Scorched Wood Finish

Postby AsonnyA » Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:49 am

> want to use it on a project.

What's the project, interior or exterior, furniture?

All sorts of info on the Net.

No personal experience, but many woodworkers char wood with a torch for the burned look. Some eateries have walls that have the burned "paneling" (boards). These examples are sometimes not for the preservation, but just the look. Optional as to whether to leave raw or to finish.

I wouldn't think one would want to sand it, once charred. Maybe a light sanding after a coat or two of finish, but no serious prep sanding, IMO.

Sonny

Bob Boardman
Refinish/Repair Wiz
Refinish/Repair Wiz

Postby Bob Boardman » Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:21 am

Am not recommending this, or saying it's a good, better or best method, but I saw this done once. You definitely need a fire extinguisher nearby and do it outdoors

Guy worked with maple primarily. As best I recall would make a mix of about 2/3s cup paint thinner, 1/3 cup gasoline and about 1 or 2 tablespoons of motor oil (he actually used chainsaw 'bar and chain' oil). Would mix this up and use a rag to apply to entire surface. Would then dampen a different rag in naphtha. Would use naphtha rag to randomly wipe certain surface areas. He would then use a propane torch to make a somewhat slow pass over entire surface. The areas with the gas/oil mix would get a small flame and then would burn out. The edges darker than the center area. The areas wiped with naphtha rag wouldn't really ignite/burn, but would end up a slightly darker color than the bare wood had been.

His strategy was that the gas would ignite, but the paint thinner and oil would lessen/dampen the flame. Naphtha wiped areas would have much of the oil and flammable stuff wiped away. The finished look showed much of the wood that looked burnished and had a slight amber tone. The edges of each "puddle" were a bit darker, but showed up randomly and added a bit of "character". Interesting look, but not one that I would ever try
Bob "Boardman" Borders

grainknot
Newcomer
Newcomer

Postby grainknot » Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:02 pm

Thanks both for your input. I'm intending to use the technique on smaller pieces, boxes and the like. Setting fire to gasoline seems a tad wild! Though I probably did worse when I was kid! :lol:

AsonnyA
Refinish/Repair Wiz
Refinish/Repair Wiz

Postby AsonnyA » Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:31 pm

This seems to be a good DIY guide: Torch, sand, stain, wax. I'd never heard of linseed oil wax.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUAC-rziYkA

Sonny

grainknot
Newcomer
Newcomer

Postby grainknot » Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:03 am

Thanks for looking this video up and sharing it.

Return to “Q&A Forum”