mission style recliner - restore or new ?

Have a questions on finishing, refinishing, or restoring <br />wood furniture or cabinetry? This is the place to ask!

Moderators: AsonnyA, Bob Boardman

Winslet
Newcomer
Newcomer

mission style recliner - restore or new ?

Postby Winslet » Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:29 am

I have an old mission style recliner. The top wood finishing has worn off and upholstery has become old. The wear & tear is visible. I have two options with me to deal with the mission recliner - either I restore the current one or find a new recliner. I came across this page, while researching around for the latest and the best mission style recliners, https://www.hod9.com/mission-style-recliner-chair/. Of the recliners mentioned over there, I like the Ashely Santa Fe Code:1990126. It retains an old world charm with its wood finish, looks very durable and is line with what I want. The cost is within the budgeted amount. The restoration is going to cost almost the same, around 10-15% less than a the new mission style recliner I have chosen. What should I do - restore or buy the new one ?

AsonnyA
Refinish/Repair Wiz
Refinish/Repair Wiz

Re: mission style recliner - restore or new ?

Postby AsonnyA » Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:41 am

The 1990126 is no longer in production. On that link, the price given is for the 1990026. Some outlets may still have a 1990126 in stock.

As for as options, that's not our call. Since cost is no factor....
Buying new (and sell the one you have) gives immediate use of the chair, if you can buy locally.
Restoring the old one will delay immediate use, a bit.

If you can do the restoration and upholstery, do it yourself. The backrest of the recliner should have some sort of clip (spring loaded clip?) on each side, near or just above the arm. Release/press that clip and the backrest should lift off of the lower assembly. To replace, just lower the backrest back onto its "track" and the clip snaps back into place.

You likely will need to remove the reclining mechanism from the wooden base framing. Upholstering can be done without this disassembly on some recliners, but the work is much easier if you remove it... usually just 4 or 6 bolts or screws for removal.

Before starting any disassembly, for upholstering, take lots of pictures so you can replace everything as it should be. Don't rely on memory. The fabric "flaps" under the footrest, attached to the base, is installed "backwards".... this is somewhat of a misnomer. Study those flaps, take pics. Reattaching new fabric is tricky, there, if you're not aware. When attaching that fabric, the chair will be upside down (for access), so watch out how you install those fabric panels.... There may be 2 or 3 panels.

Upholstering should be easy if you're somewhat familiar with upholstery. Seems you have 3 pieces to upholster: backrest, seat and footrest. I can't tell if you'd need to do some sewing. My guess is 2.5 or 3 yards of fabric needed, surely no more than 4 yards.

Disassembling for upholstering should facilitate the refinishing of the woodwork.

Sonny

Winslet
Newcomer
Newcomer

Re: mission style recliner - restore or new ?

Postby Winslet » Thu Nov 05, 2020 7:41 am

Thank you for your reply. It helps to arrive at a decision.

Return to “Q&A Forum”