Help Refinishing a Danish Dining Table

Have a questions on finishing, refinishing, or restoring <br />wood furniture or cabinetry? This is the place to ask!

Moderators: AsonnyA, Bob Boardman

Itsmejdd
Newcomer
Newcomer

Help Refinishing a Danish Dining Table

Postby Itsmejdd » Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:17 pm

Hello All,

My wife and myself purchased a danish style dining table and we are attempting to refinish it. As you can see from the pictures I have sanded it with 120 grit sand paper and there are quite a few stains on the table and the middle leaf is a different color than the rest of the table (I have sanded /stained/resanded This table). Is there a way to get these black stains off of the table and to get the wood one cohesive color before I stain it. I don't know much about the wood, I do think that is has a veneer on on the top. Any tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated.
Sanded .jpeg
After Sanding
Sanded .jpeg (94.15 KiB) Viewed 1169 times
IMG_6423.jpeg
Prior to Sandin
IMG_6423.jpeg (105.44 KiB) Viewed 1169 times

Winslet
Newcomer
Newcomer

Re: Help Refinishing a Danish Dining Table

Postby Winslet » Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:09 am

Have you reshaped the table too ?

Itsmejdd
Newcomer
Newcomer

Postby Itsmejdd » Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:21 pm

The table has a leaf that I added.

JuliusTweezer
Newcomer
Newcomer

Postby JuliusTweezer » Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:50 pm

Just a heads up that that is a veneer. there's a band around the table which is to hide the veneer. Another way to double check is compare the wood grain on the top and bottom.

AsonnyA
Refinish/Repair Wiz
Refinish/Repair Wiz

Postby AsonnyA » Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:08 pm

Not knowing what specie of wood the table's veneer is, though teak was a common furniture lumber during mid last century in Europe....

Cherry darkens with age. Your table's veneer may express a similar characteristic. Generally, a leaf of a table is used less than the ends, hence your leaf may not have as much exposure and may not have changed color, as the ends have. This may be a reason why the leaf and ends are different colors or shades of the same color. Teak does change color with age.

I don't have experience with teak. Bob may have some good suggestions.

Sonny

Return to “Q&A Forum”