Attaching leg unit - to washer or not to washer

Have a questions on finishing, refinishing, or restoring <br />wood furniture or cabinetry? This is the place to ask!

Moderators: AsonnyA, Bob Boardman

VintageGal
Newcomer
Newcomer

Attaching leg unit - to washer or not to washer

Post by VintageGal »

I am re-assembling an antique wood table. The leg unit (which holds all 4 legs) attachs to the table top with bolts and wing nuts. (Okay, not actually a bolt, it had machine threads on one end, and a screw thread on the other)

The piece of wood which holds the legs is about 3/4'â€￾ thick. There are 6 holes of approximately 1 ½â€￾ diameter drilled into the wood to accommodate the bolt threads and wing nuts.

I have been advised I should add washers to strengthen the area. Unfortunately, I cannot find washers that are the correct size. The ones I find are smaller than the diameter of the drilled hole, and have openings that are slightly larger than the bolt threads.

Should I add washers? Or re-assemble as it was originally assembled? If I add washers, would I use regular washers ( I saw another type at the store that had some prongs that look like maybe they would grab wood).

The table has always had a slight wobble, I do not want to exacerbate that problem!