Need help with secretary hardware

Have a questions on finishing, refinishing, or restoring <br />wood furniture or cabinetry? This is the place to ask!

Moderators: AsonnyA, Bob Boardman

Lawilkins
Newcomer
Newcomer

Need help with secretary hardware

Postby Lawilkins » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:10 pm

I took this piece apart to paint it two years ago, and then life got in the way. Now that it is painted, I can no longer find any documentation of how the original hardware on the drop desk attached. There are two pieces on each side, one which is rounded, one with a hook. The other end of both pieces has a foot with two screw holes. I do know the hook attaches to the wooden arm support for the desk so that it pulls the arm out when the drop top is open. But, I don't know what happens to the other piece. There are only one set of screw holes on the top itself for an arm to attach to (the three holes are for the hinge). Any advice? I've scoured the internet for photos, but there are so many variations of these pieces that no two seem to be the same.
IMG_7476-min.JPG
IMG_7476-min.JPG (6.99 KiB) Viewed 45 times

Bob Boardman
Refinish/Repair Wiz
Refinish/Repair Wiz

Re: Need help with secretary hardware

Postby Bob Boardman » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:03 am

Can you find any decal or other info that would identify the maker of the secretary? Other than that, I'm at a loss without seeing more pics of the unit, the screw holes you mention, etc.

If he sees this, Sonny might have some insights
Bob "Boardman" Borders

AsonnyA
Refinish/Repair Wiz
Refinish/Repair Wiz

Postby AsonnyA » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:08 am

Might you have taken pics of the casing, before you initially worked on it, and still have the pics somewhere?

Mount the hardware, see if things work out in that installed position. If it doesn't work out, switch the positions of the hardware and try again. Hopefully the hit-or-miss method of installation will resolve the problem. There's a finite number of combinations to be available. One has to work.

Sonny

AsonnyA
Refinish/Repair Wiz
Refinish/Repair Wiz

Postby AsonnyA » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:11 am

If he sees this, Sonny might have some insights[/quote]

In this heat we're having, my (cooked up!?) thoughts may not be so viable.

Sonny

Lawilkins
Newcomer
Newcomer

Postby Lawilkins » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:23 am

Having trouble getting photos to upload, but here's a photo of the hook-ended piece attached to the wooden arm support (the drop-down desk rests on top of it when open). The second photo is the drop down desk piece. The three holes at the top are where the hinge connects the drop-down to the secretary main piece. The two holes on the side are where the hardware should attach. Third photo shows that both hardware pieces seem to have two holes on the other end, but the only place I would screw into is the drop down desk piece itself, which only has two holes, not four, on each side. If I screw the foot of the hook-end piece to the drop-down piece, the hardware is too short, and I can't fully open the drop down. The two pieces somehow attach to each other, but for the life of me I can't figure out how to configure them.
Attachments
IMG_7478--min.JPG
IMG_7478--min.JPG (7.62 KiB) Viewed 32 times
IMG_7477-min.JPG
IMG_7477-min.JPG (74.6 KiB) Viewed 32 times
IMG_7479-mini-min.JPG
IMG_7479-mini-min.JPG (8.55 KiB) Viewed 32 times

Bob Boardman
Refinish/Repair Wiz
Refinish/Repair Wiz

Postby Bob Boardman » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:51 am

I think Sonny gave you some 'hot' advice. ;-)

Seriously I'd follow his advice "Mount the hardware, see if things work out in that installed position. If it doesn't work out, switch the positions of the hardware and try again."
One of the metal pieces (I'm guessing the shorter one) will probably be attached to the top edge or the end of the board in the upper right of the 2nd picture.
Bob "Boardman" Borders

Return to “Q&A Forum”