Table top stain recommendation

Have a questions on finishing, refinishing, or restoring <br />wood furniture or cabinetry? This is the place to ask!

Moderators: AsonnyA, Bob Boardman

EO19
Newcomer
Newcomer

Table top stain recommendation

Postby EO19 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:29 am

Hello all. This is my first post. I'm refinishing just the top of this table. I have the leaf down to bare wood at this point. Any advice on what color stain to utilize? Thank you for the help!
image1.jpeg
image1.jpeg (43.58 KiB) Viewed 118 times

image1(1).jpeg
image1(1).jpeg (11.28 KiB) Viewed 118 times

Bob Boardman
Refinish/Repair Wiz
Refinish/Repair Wiz

Re: Table top stain recommendation

Postby Bob Boardman » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:26 am

Some thoughts:

First good job getting down to bare wood. To make sure that there's no 'leftover' finish or stain, wipe the entire surface with a rag dipped in paint thinner. It will highlight any finish or stain.

Next, the sun and overhead light's reflection off the wood prevents a good look at the color of the wood, so some better pics might help, BUT...
The biggest issue is asking others what color stain to use. This is difficult because it's a personal taste question. To best understand this ask a husband and wife what colors they'd like ;-)

Seriously though a lot depends on things such as personal preference, color of other items in the room the piece will be in (are they dark or light, etc.), will the piece be exposed to a lot of sun (sun will bleach out a lot of color from a dark stain over time), etc.

Hope this helps
Bob "Boardman" Borders

EO19
Newcomer
Newcomer

Postby EO19 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:16 am

Sorry for the confusion. I am trying to match the color as close as possible.

Bob Boardman
Refinish/Repair Wiz
Refinish/Repair Wiz

Postby Bob Boardman » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:31 am

No problem, but need better pics. Difficult to see different color from the pics sent
Bob "Boardman" Borders

Return to “Q&A Forum”