Trying Glass Backsplashes

Have a questions on finishing, refinishing, or restoring <br />wood furniture or cabinetry? This is the place to ask!

Moderators: AsonnyA, Bob Boardman

DanielleMantooth
Newcomer
Newcomer

Trying Glass Backsplashes

Postby DanielleMantooth » Sun May 26, 2019 11:28 pm

Just wanted to know your opinion in glass backsplashes.
My house is 20 years old and now I'm renovating it since my daughter's wedding next month.

In the kitchen, I'm thinking about back painted glass backsplashes.
It'll look good and from what I heard, it's much easier to clean than tiles.
Though I'm concerned about its strength, especially because its in the kitchen.

Heard glass backsplash installed near the stove will crack over time, because of the heat. But when I called this nearby company providing custom glass backsplash, they told me the glass won't crack, if it's tempered. Is it true? Or should I just go with the tiles?

AsonnyA
Refinish/Repair Wiz
Refinish/Repair Wiz

Re: Trying Glass Backsplashes

Postby AsonnyA » Mon May 27, 2019 10:58 am

Tempered glass won't crack, but it will shatter into tiny pieces when it breaks. Shattering, that way, is a safety feature, as opposed to regular glass breaking in shards, like knives, that can stab or severely cut you.

It's much harder to break tempered glass, as compared to regular glass. Tile is a "type" of glass, somewhat. The "mortar" is baked, forming a glass-like product. You only notice the glazed surface as being glass-like.

I'm not familiar with installing a glass backsplash, but I would suppose a good (perfectly or most perfectly) flat backside support (wall) is most advantageous. Since you plan to paint the backside of the glass, installing a soft backing might be a good idea, to limit any uneven spacing/spots between it and the wall structure. I would think the glass company should/would have an appropriate soft backing material. Certainly can't hurt to ask them their recommendations.

Good luck.
Sonny

AsonnyA
Refinish/Repair Wiz
Refinish/Repair Wiz

Re: Trying Glass Backsplashes

Postby AsonnyA » Mon May 27, 2019 11:06 am

Also, you have to order your tempered glass to exact size or very near exact size. Once made, tempered glass can't be cut to modify any sizing.... similarly, the size you need can't be cut from a larger plate/pane. If doing it yourself, making a cardboard (or similar) template is highly recommended, to get the most exact size, before ordering the size you need. A glass company might do any measuring for free, if you order/buy from them.

Sonny

Return to “Q&A Forum”