Can I re-finish this table?

Have a questions on finishing, refinishing, or restoring <br />wood furniture or cabinetry? This is the place to ask!

Moderators: AsonnyA, Bob Boardman

luked3
Newcomer
Newcomer

Can I re-finish this table?

Postby luked3 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:02 am

Hello!

I have this old kitchen table that I'd like to refinish. I don't think that it's high quality, but we like the claw feet on it and can't replace it at this point :)

I have a friend who has the same table. He tried sanding the table top, but it didn't work for him to re-stain it.

Is there anything I could do to re-refinish this table top about the same stain color as the original? (Picture attached). I'm not sure if this is veneer or something else.

Thanks so much for your help!
Attachments
IMG_0192_small.jpg
IMG_0192_small.jpg (105.11 KiB) Viewed 354 times
IMG_0193_small.jpg
IMG_0193_small.jpg (73.1 KiB) Viewed 354 times

AsonnyA
Refinish/Repair Wiz
Refinish/Repair Wiz

Re: Can I re-finish this table?

Postby AsonnyA » Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:08 pm

> I have a friend who has the same table. He tried sanding the table top, but it didn't work for him to re-stain it.

Why did it not work for your friend? Did he/she sand too aggressively? I suspect it's a veneered top, so with delicate sanding, it should be amenable to refinishing.

Before you do anything, get some lacquer thinner or acetone (finger nail polish remover, if you have some acetone polish remover) and put a drop on an area, rub it in, see if the finish melts within 20-30 seconds. If it melts, then the finish is lacquer. If it's a lacquer finish, then removing it will be easier than removing a different finish.

Are you sure the top is stained? To me, it looks like just a clear coat has been applied. With the grain pattern as showy as it is, no need for a stain. As to those whitish or faded spots, it appears to me that the wood may not be stained, but the clear coat that was applied has been tinted. Looks like the clear coat's tinting has faded or rubbed out (or off) in those spots. If its present top coat has been rubbed off that easily, then the top coat may not be so thick, thickly applied, hence more easily removed.

You can likely successfully strip it with a chemical stripper, lightly sand with 220 grit sand paper and refinish with a clear coat, tinted or not.

Sonny

luked3
Newcomer
Newcomer

Re: Can I re-finish this table?

Postby luked3 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:27 pm

Thanks Sonny. I'll have to ask my friend more questions. Thanks for the tips and I'll check and see if it's lacquer first. I'm glad that there's hope for the table! I'll give it a shot and let you know how it turns out.

Return to “Q&A Forum”