Cock beading repair

Have a questions on finishing, refinishing, or restoring <br />wood furniture or cabinetry? This is the place to ask!

Moderators: AsonnyA, Bob Boardman

Simon john
Newcomer
Newcomer

Cock beading repair

Postby Simon john » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:43 am

Hello,
I have a George 2nd chest of drawers, with damaged and broken cock beading around the drawers.
What's the best way to remove the broken beading in order to replace?

AsonnyA
Refinish/Repair Wiz
Refinish/Repair Wiz

Re: Cock beading repair

Postby AsonnyA » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:02 am

It's an applique. It's either glued on or pin nailed. Just pop it off, clean the surface and apply new bead molding.

If glued on, you might want to delicately cut the glue line on the outside edges, with a razor or sharp box knife, so that the underlying wood (veneer?) doesn't split, when you lift/pop it off. For those older pieces, the glue might be hide glue, which, in that case, you might can heat it with a blow drier (not real hot) and the glue will soften, allowing for ease of lifting.

But see if you can determine if it is pin nailed, rather than glued. For an old item, I suspect it may be glued, though.

Sonny

Simon john
Newcomer
Newcomer

Postby Simon john » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:32 pm

Thanks a lot, much appreciated , It is old so I'm guessing it's glued, but will heed your advice!

Simon john
Newcomer
Newcomer

Postby Simon john » Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:03 am

Broken bead all removed successfully.
Does anybody know of a UK outlet that sells cockbead ready made, or is it a diy job?

AsonnyA
Refinish/Repair Wiz
Refinish/Repair Wiz

Postby AsonnyA » Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:10 am

I'm across the Pond, so don't readily know a source. Your local lumber supplier should have some, otherwise they may know of a source. A cabinet shop can make some for you. Shouldn't cost too much, especially compared to time and effort for making your own.

You'd likely need a beading bit, for table saw or shaper, to make your own decent ones. For a one time job/project, buying already-made is most convenient and economical.

Sonny

Simon john
Newcomer
Newcomer

Postby Simon john » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:26 am

Many thanks, that's great advice much appreciated
Regards
Simon

Return to “Q&A Forum”