refinishing hardwood floors-white oak

Have a questions on finishing, refinishing, or restoring <br />wood furniture or cabinetry? This is the place to ask!

Moderators: AsonnyA, Bob Boardman

scotts
Newcomer
Newcomer

refinishing hardwood floors-white oak

Postby scotts » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:31 am

I'm having my white oak floors refinished. it was suggested I get a satin finish. so far I have some glossy areas on a board and where the grain shows, it is dull and rough. How do I get rid of the rough areas and achieve a more consistent texture and sheen? Can I top coat with a semi-gloss to fill in the grain? Using polyurethane. Help please.
Scott

Bob Boardman
Refinish/Repair Wiz
Refinish/Repair Wiz

Re: refinishing hardwood floors-white oak

Postby Bob Boardman » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:21 pm

Some thoughts:
1) The different texture is most the result of how the tree grows. There's soft grain and hard grain. The softer areas wear faster whereas the harder areas don't. This results in the softer wood leaving "valleys' and the harder wood being 'peaks'. When you say "where the grain shows" I'm assuming you're referring to the softer grain, and that you're using a water base product.
If you're using a water base finish, the softer grain will absorb more than the harder grained areas. When wood absorbs water/water base (wb) finishes it produces fine "hairs" that stick up when it dries. Your valleys in the softer grain also allow more finish to collect, making them shinier/glossier than the hard grained wood.
To eliminate some of these 'hairs' you can do a couple things:
- pre-wet the floor, let it dry and sand with a fine grit paper.
- dilute the 1st coat of finish (about 10 -15%) with water, then following directions on can, (within the recoat time) apply a 2nd, undiluted coat. Let this dry overnight
- next day sand all surfaces with a fine paper. Vacuum up dust, let room sit for an hour or two for any dust to settle, and apply your final coat

2) Regular furniture finishes aren't a good idea for floors. Floor finishes come in a variety of sheens, but also have some non-skid additives that prevent floors from becoming too slick - even if a satin finish. They're available on-line or at a professional paint or floor supply store in your area. Some good floor finishes are:
Bon Ami https://us.bona.com/
Zep https://www.zep.com/product/zepcommercial/high-traffic-floor-finish
Bob "Boardman" Borders

scotts
Newcomer
Newcomer

Postby scotts » Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:04 pm

Actually I'm using an oil based polyurethane on white oak. Yes the softer grain is standing up, giving me that dull finished area and rough to the touch surface. Should I sand down and recoat with a semi gloss to fill in the hairs? Or just add another layer of satin?

Bob Boardman
Refinish/Repair Wiz
Refinish/Repair Wiz

Postby Bob Boardman » Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:30 pm

If you sand, you'll just be taking finish off the hard grain, and won't be able to really get to the softer grain in the valleys. You can apply a coat or 2 of diluted finish (add 15 - 20% mineral spirits). The diluted finish will build up in the valleys eventually "filling" these areas in a bit so that they can be sanded.

Let this dry for at least 24 hrs - not overnight. Then sand all surfaces with a fine grit paper, vacuum up dust, let room sit for an hour or two for any dust to settle, and apply your final coat
Bob "Boardman" Borders

Return to “Q&A Forum”