Misshapened wood

Have a questions on finishing, refinishing, or restoring <br />wood furniture or cabinetry? This is the place to ask!

Moderators: AsonnyA, Bob Boardman

The Vac
Newcomer
Newcomer

Misshapened wood

Postby The Vac » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:39 pm

I refinished a cedar chest, a project that was started two years ago. It was stripped, then sat in a garage, then in my closet for at least two years. Now that it's refinished, I've found that parts, especially the trim does not sit flush to the box. Is there a way to close these gaps without taking the cedar chest apart? Can I put something heavy on it in hopes it will bring the wood together? Thanks
Karen

Bob Boardman
Refinish/Repair Wiz
Refinish/Repair Wiz

Postby Bob Boardman » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:02 am

Karen

Cedar is a brittle wood so be careful bending it. Ordinarily you can soak wood in water for a week or so and then bend it. Cedar though, resists water, so I'm at a loss as to how to proceed. I'm sorry.

Anybody else have thoughts?
Bob "Boardman" Borders

li'l larry
Newcomer
Newcomer

Postby li'l larry » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:34 pm

I was curious so I looked online and found this. Hope it helps.

How to Straighten a Warped Piece of Wood
By Josh Baum, eHow Contributor

Copyright © 1999-2012 Demand Media, Inc.

How to Straighten a Warped Piece of Wood | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_4529689_straigh ... -wood.html

Bob Boardman
Refinish/Repair Wiz
Refinish/Repair Wiz

Postby Bob Boardman » Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:26 am

Thanks Larry.
It's worth a try, but as I said in previous post, cedar resists water
Bob "Boardman" Borders

The Vac
Newcomer
Newcomer

Postby The Vac » Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:15 am

Thanks, I'll check it out.

AsonnyA
Refinish/Repair Wiz
Refinish/Repair Wiz

Postby AsonnyA » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:10 am

A picture would do wonders to help us understand what your trim is, what your trim is like. Define your "trim" better, than what you have. Is the trim made of cedar, also?

Most cedar chests are lined with ER Cedar and the outside is usually made of a different wood. Your chest may be all cedar.

Is your trim long strips along the edges/corners or is your trim a carved or decoartive applique? The fix may be/ could be/would be different for each application.?!

Cedar chests are usually made of air dried lumber, not kiln dried, in order to have the effect of the aromatics of the cedar. Previously kiln dried lumber, for the trim, would/should not be warping, as the wood would have been "worked", to eliminate the possibility of warping, before it was applied to the chest... at least that's how I would have built it. This rationalle allows the conclusion that your wood is air dried.

From your initial description, I am assuming your trim is long strips, and not a decorative applique of some sort.

If your trim are long strips, along the edges or such, how thick is the trim? Before attempting to clamp down the trim, to possibly straighten it, you might try removing the affected trim and rip a kerf (or 2) along the back side, if the trim is thick enough to allow for a kerf cut. If so, don't rip the kerf all the way to the ends of the trim... stop short of the ends. This kerf cutting may break the tension, in the wood, and allow it to better sit flush onto its application.

Kerf cutting can be a delicate matter, depending on how thick the strip is.
If you use a router, a small "V" cutting bit works well.

Sonny

johnwhick348
Newcomer
Newcomer

Re: Misshapened wood

Postby johnwhick348 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:39 am

The Vac wrote:I refinished a cedar chest, a project that was started two years ago. It was stripped, then sat in a garage, then in my closet for at least two years. Now that it's refinished, I've found that parts, especially the trim does not sit flush to the box. Is there a way to close these gaps without taking the cedar chest apart? Can I put something heavy on it in hopes it will bring the wood together? Thanks
Karen

Yeah, he is right Cedar is brittle wood so be careful bending it.

Return to “Q&A Forum”