Teak Table Sun Faded - Help to restore color & finish?

Have a questions on finishing, refinishing, or restoring <br />wood furniture or cabinetry? This is the place to ask!

Moderators: AsonnyA, Bob Boardman

ichan026
Newcomer
Newcomer

Teak Table Sun Faded - Help to restore color & finish?

Postby ichan026 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:46 pm

I purchased a J.L. Moller teak table set from the original owners and want to restore the color to it's former glory. The owners told me this set was in a sun filled room for most of its existence. Also one side of the table is slightly darker than the other side. I'm wondering what I could possibly do to get this table to the desired table color? (see photo below).

There does seem to be some type of finish on the table top. I'm not sure if its lacquer, varnish, or poly. See the image at the bottom. The table top is a veneer but the legs, table top edges, etc are solid teak.

Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks All

Current Table Color:

Desired Table Color:

Table Finish: This is the reaction to water, the finish becomes dull with a little exposure to water (i.e. a few minutes). From what I understand it was last refinished in the 80's by the furniture store it was originally purchased from. I am not sure what type of finish is on here - any ideas?

Bob Boardman
Refinish/Repair Wiz
Refinish/Repair Wiz

Postby Bob Boardman » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:04 am

Search the site to find out how to determine the finish. If it's alacquer finish a new coat of lacquer can be applied over the old one. To even out the color, you either need to have spray equipment or need to strip off all the old finish
Bob "Boardman" Borders

ichan026
Newcomer
Newcomer

Postby ichan026 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:16 pm

Bob Boardman wrote:Search the site to find out how to determine the finish. If it's alacquer finish a new coat of lacquer can be applied over the old one. To even out the color, you either need to have spray equipment or need to strip off all the old finish

Hey Bob thanks for the reply. So I was doing some reading and have determined that it is a lacquer finish. Wife had some nail polish remover with the main ingredient being acetone. I tested in a small area and it looks like the lacquer has dissolved to uncover the wood.

I do not have spray equipment. Would the best bet be to remove the the Varnish and then lightly sand the table to hopefully uncover the less sun faded teak and then apply the Danish oil finish to give it back it's color?

Bob Boardman
Refinish/Repair Wiz
Refinish/Repair Wiz

Postby Bob Boardman » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:58 am

Strip the lacquer finish with a chemical stripper, or sand off the existing finish.
Bob "Boardman" Borders

garlanre
Regular
Regular

Postby garlanre » Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:29 pm

Your table is gorgeous. Please post photos when it's finished. Thanks.

Return to “Q&A Forum”