Help refinishing 1930's era bedroom set

Have a questions on finishing, refinishing, or restoring <br />wood furniture or cabinetry? This is the place to ask!

Moderators: AsonnyA, Bob Boardman

Stephen607
Newcomer
Newcomer

Help refinishing 1930's era bedroom set

Postby Stephen607 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:09 pm

I recently purchased a bedroom set at a yard sale and want to refinish it as a hobby. I stripped the dresser, sanded it, and stained it using a dark walnut danish oil. I like the way the top and drawers came out, but the side of the dresser has a very defined grain pattern as apposed to being a more solid color. In the photos is the untouched chifferobe, which has a more solid color for the sides. I'm worried the chifferobe sides are going to do the same thing. What can I do to remedy this, so the dresser more closely resembles the chifferobe, and when i refinish the chifferobe it also resembles the original piece. Do i need to stain using a different color? Should I have sanded differently? Is there really anything i can do about it? Thank you for any help or guidance.
Attachments
IMG-12441.jpg
IMG-12441.jpg (40.5 KiB) Viewed 239 times
IMG-1245.jpg
IMG-1245.jpg (47.98 KiB) Viewed 239 times

Bob Boardman
Refinish/Repair Wiz
Refinish/Repair Wiz

Re: Help refinishing 1930's era bedroom set

Postby Bob Boardman » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:23 am

Not sure I fully understand, but here's a basic schedule to try.

Wood grows with different patterns. This causes wood to absorb more (or less) stain based on the growth pattern. To help get a more even color when staining try this.
1) When sanding is complete, get a product called Sealcoat. Apply 1 coat and let dry. Then light sand with a 400 grit paper and vacuum up dust. Then apply your stain.
2) Evaluate and determine if this is close to color you want. If not remove stain with whatever is appropriate for your stain (paint thinner if oil base, water if water base). The shellac in the Sealcoat prevents the stain from penetrating to the wood, so you're able to remove the stain with no damage.
3) If stain color is close, let it dry. If way too dark or light, go to a different color stain.
4) When you get the right color and it's dried completley apply another coat of Sealcoat, then a couple costs of the finish of your choice
Bob "Boardman" Borders

Stephen607
Newcomer
Newcomer

Postby Stephen607 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:45 pm

Thank you, I do like the color, its just i don't like the dramatic differences in the lights and darks in the grain. I would like an even coloring, similar to whats on the Chifferobe. I will look into sealcoat. Thank you for taking the time to check it out. If anyone has any other ideas Im all ears.

AsonnyA
Refinish/Repair Wiz
Refinish/Repair Wiz

Postby AsonnyA » Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:48 am

On a side note, that style of furniture is called Waterfall, because of the curved top front edge.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waterfall ... m%20suites.

Sonny

Return to “Q&A Forum”