Refinishing a teak veneer coffee table - complete beginner!

Have a questions on finishing, refinishing, or restoring <br />wood furniture or cabinetry? This is the place to ask!

Moderators: AsonnyA, Bob Boardman

readysetgo
Newcomer
Newcomer

Refinishing a teak veneer coffee table - complete beginner!

Postby readysetgo » Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:28 am

I've been wanting to try my hand at furniture refinishing for a number of years, and I bought a Scandinavian teak coffee table at a fleamarket the other day. While it needs some serious TLC, it's already beautiful! It's also worth something, so I don't want to screw it up even if I have no intention of selling it. My plan for the parts of the table that aren't actually damaged is just 220 sandpaper and then a few coats of teak oil. Am I on the right track? However, there are also spots that are actually damaged. If I had to guess, I would say one spot is heat damage, one spot is tape damage, and one spot might be mold or ground-in dirt (see pictures). There is also a spot where there is a small hole in the veneer that needs to be patched (finger for scale). How should I approach this damage? Like I say, I'm not going for resale value, but I do want to restore this beautiful old table to (as close as possible to) its former glory. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Bob Boardman
Refinish/Repair Wiz
Refinish/Repair Wiz

Re: Refinishing a teak veneer coffee table - complete beginner!

Postby Bob Boardman » Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:49 am

Pictures would be a big help, but some quick thoughts:

1) Common mistake by beginners is sanding thru the veneer. When this happens you expose the underlayment which is usually a much lower grade wood. 2 questions: Why do you need to sand the surface? Why did you select 220 grit? If going to sand a 400 grit would be better choice to start with.

2) Describe heat damage - is this a white spot or ring?
3) Describe tape damage
4) Why teak oil. Teak oil won't give a lot of protection if this piece will get everyday use
5) Describe the hole
Bob "Boardman" Borders

Return to “Q&A Forum”