Fixing scratches on a wooden headboard.

Have a questions on finishing, refinishing, or restoring <br />wood furniture or cabinetry? This is the place to ask!

Moderators: AsonnyA, Bob Boardman

tradesun
Newcomer
Newcomer

Fixing scratches on a wooden headboard.

Postby tradesun » Tue May 26, 2020 8:19 pm

I would like to fix scratches on a headboard.
the result does not need to be perfect at all, it is ok if the scratches will be visible when examining it.
but hoping to significantly improve the current state with a fairly easy solution. (defiantly not sanding and repainting) .

I am currently in the Dominican republic, so my access to some specialized product might be limited.

If i find a very similar color and use a small brush, will it work?
Is there a method for matching colors?

I will be glad to receive any advice.

AsonnyA
Refinish/Repair Wiz
Refinish/Repair Wiz

Re: Fixing scratches on a wooden headboard.

Postby AsonnyA » Wed May 27, 2020 9:38 am

Bob might assist with this, in that, he can explain his airplane approach-takeoff whisking of a surface as this.

I might suspect the finish, on that bed set, is lacquer. If so, the finish repair might/can be touched up with a lacquer product treatment, hence Bob's technique. Do you have convenient access to the Jumbo Agora Mall? One of the (finger) Nail Salons might/should have lacquer nail polish. If they have nail polish, then they likely have nail polish remover, meaning they have lacquer nail polish remover, i.e., lacquer thinner.

*Other nail salons may have the lacquer nail polish and remover, also.

Sonny

Bob Boardman
Refinish/Repair Wiz
Refinish/Repair Wiz

Re: Fixing scratches on a wooden headboard.

Postby Bob Boardman » Wed May 27, 2020 2:12 pm

Sonny- good job as my wingman.
Tradesun -I think Sonny diagnosed the problem correctly. Here's how I'd proceed:

1) try to get some lacquer thinner, If you can't get this then try to get acetone, or solvent based nail polish remover

2) Using a small cotton swab of very, very small piece of cloth, dip it in the lacquer thinner and rub it quickly on a small spot that's somewhat hidden. If the finish gets soft or starts to come off - then it's definitely a lacquer finish.

3) If lacquer, cut an 8" square of cotton, and a 12" square of cotton. Old flannel shirts or undershirts that are clean work well. Roll the 8" square into a ball, and place it in the middle of the 12" square. Pull the edges of the 12" square up and around the 8" ball and pull them tight around your fingers. This is known as a charging pad. Dampen (not wet, just damp) the charger with some lacquer thinner and tap it against a hard surface a couple times to distribute the lacquer thinner.

4) Using a motion of a plane coming in for a landing and then taking off again, go over the area with the scratches. Don't hold the charger on the surface too long. What you're trying to do is use the lacquer thinner to "melt" some of the existing lacquer finish, and move it over the spots with the scratches. This may take 3 - 4 tries, but it should do the job. If not let us know
Bob "Boardman" Borders

Return to “Q&A Forum”