Restoring an Hoosier cabinet

Have a questions on finishing, refinishing, or restoring <br />wood furniture or cabinetry? This is the place to ask!

Moderators: AsonnyA, Bob Boardman

Wanderer
Newcomer
Newcomer

Restoring an Hoosier cabinet

Postby Wanderer » Sun May 24, 2020 1:25 pm

I've had a Hoosier cabinet for almost 30 years that a friend gave me. Haven't touched it till now. Probably two, maybe 3 coats of paint on it. Determined the original finish was plain oak from removing all the hardware. Upper cabinet inside was painted yellow. I decided to take the plunge and remove the paint. I have very minimal experience with stripping paint, but it went pretty well. Whole cabinet stripped, but stubborn little bits all over the surface! If I add more stripper, it just turns the bits to a gel like mush which just seem to smear all over the surface. I tried steel wool with mineral spirits but it takes FOREVER to remove just on spot! I expected to have to use some elbow grease, but I have a whole cabinet to do. Water isn't an option as I'm using an oil base stripper. Any tips about removing theses bits of paint would be greatly appreciated!

Bob Boardman
Refinish/Repair Wiz
Refinish/Repair Wiz

Re: Restoring an Hoosier cabinet

Postby Bob Boardman » Mon May 25, 2020 9:23 am

Wanderer - Here are some things to try:

1) Get a STIFF plastic brush, or even better, a brass bristle brush. You want a brush that has bristles about 1 inch long. You can find both at hardware or big box stores. They cost less than $2. Below is a link for one. These brushes can get into wood pore and clean out ols paint. Steel wool doesn't work so well, as you've found out.

https://www.all-spec.com/UserFiles/Imag ... _WebXL.jpg

2) At a hardware or paint store buy a cheap plastic drop cloth - cheapest they have. Apply some stripper to areas with "stubborn little bits", and then wrap the entire drop cloth, or pieces of the drop cloth cut to size, over these areas. Let it sit for 3 - 4 hours. The plastic prevents the stripper from evaporating quickly, and helps it remove more of the old paint. Remove and discard the drop cloth (set it outdoors overnight to prevent any spontaneous combustion before discarding), then use your bristled brush to get rid on the stubborn bits of paint.

Hope this helps
Bob "Boardman" Borders

Return to “Q&A Forum”