Staining.

Have a questions on finishing, refinishing, or restoring <br />wood furniture or cabinetry? This is the place to ask!

Moderators: AsonnyA, Bob Boardman

oakaged
Regular
Regular

Staining.

Postby oakaged » Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:15 pm

Hi,
Have managed to complete the chest of draws, after you gave me all the advise.
i now have another project of which i would some ideas on the matching the top of the court cupboard to the bottom portion, possibly staining ?

I have enclosed a picture of the current state of the item.

Also picture of the chest of draws now finished with excellent advise from your self's.

Regards Derek
Attachments
2006.jpg
2006.jpg (24.14 KiB) Viewed 217 times
DSC_4669.JPG
DSC_4669.JPG (60.75 KiB) Viewed 217 times

Bob Boardman
Refinish/Repair Wiz
Refinish/Repair Wiz

Re: Staining.

Postby Bob Boardman » Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:20 am

Derek - The piece you finished looks great. Good job.

It looks likes the new piece is pine, and my guess is that it's professionally finished. I say this because it will take a bit more work to strip down to bare wood.
From the picture it's difficult to see the difference between the bottom and the top. From what I can see is that being pine, it's not unusual for there to be a fair amount of splotching.

Let me know what you mean when you say "Staining?'. Do you want to stain whole piece or just the top. Remember it's also easier to make something darker
Bob "Boardman" Borders

oakaged
Regular
Regular

Postby oakaged » Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:06 pm

Hi Bob, thanks for the prompt reply, sorry for the picture, i tried to down size it and, that was the result.
The cupboard is all oak, but do not know why the font lower half is, what look like its been weather beaten, i have included a a couple of pictures to make it a bit clearer as to the disparity in the Finish.
i suppose i could strip it all back, but after removing the finish on the chest of draws, it was quite a task, so would it be possible to stain the lower parts to match the top half, and what would i have to do to the wood before staining.

Regards Derek.

oakaged
Regular
Regular

Postby oakaged » Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:18 pm

Will try again to sent attachments
Attachments
DSC_5494.JPG
DSC_5494.JPG (105.64 KiB) Viewed 203 times
DSC_5492.JPG
DSC_5492.JPG (98.03 KiB) Viewed 203 times

Bob Boardman
Refinish/Repair Wiz
Refinish/Repair Wiz

Postby Bob Boardman » Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:40 pm

I can now see the difference. It looks like finish has been removed - either by age, wear or stripping. So I'd do the following before doing anything else:
1) Wipe down with paint thinner. This will show spots where finish is. Based on the color, I'm guessing color may be bleached out from sun, but there still may be good finish. This test will let you know. It will also show you what the wood will look like if you were to just apply a single coat of clear. So make note of the wood color when doing this
2) It looks like some of the black spots on the bottom rail are due to water damage. Id light sand to remove any finish that might be there, and wipe down with a 50 -50 mix of bleach and water. Let sit over night and see if it's removed, It may take a second application. Make note of the color after bleaching. If you wipe down the bleached area with a damp rag it will show you what the wood will look like if you were to just apply a single coat of clear.

Let us know what happens when you try this
Bob "Boardman" Borders

AsonnyA
Refinish/Repair Wiz
Refinish/Repair Wiz

Postby AsonnyA » Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:53 pm

I agree with Bob, that the surface has been "weathered" in some capacity.

A thought: That large black area, is there a nail right there? Looks like a nail head showing. Being oak, the oak resin (tannins) will react with iron causing the wood to turn black. If this is the case, then other similar areas may have been blackened by this process, if a nail is there. As Bob has said, bleaching can help remove the blackening. If nails exist, this may be an indication of some sort of repair or shoring up of some separation or other structural anomaly repair. Might want to see if the nails can be removed and an alternative repair be applied to those areas, if applicable.

Sonny

oakaged
Regular
Regular

Postby oakaged » Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:46 am

Hi Bob and Asonny,
I have cleaned one end of the door with thinners, see picture, and sprayed the area with clear lacquer, and it does seemed to have changed the colour, would you suggest spraying with garnet Shellac after removal of the dark staining just to give it a bit of a better match to the same colour as the top doors.
Not tried the 50/50 bleach and water yet, but will give it a try.

Regards Derek.
Attachments
DSC_5513.JPG
DSC_5513.JPG (91.51 KiB) Viewed 172 times
DSC_5504.JPG
DSC_5504.JPG (104.87 KiB) Viewed 172 times

Bob Boardman
Refinish/Repair Wiz
Refinish/Repair Wiz

Postby Bob Boardman » Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:47 am

Derek - It's really difficult for us to tell you the exact stain, type of shellac or dye to use to get a color match using photos. We can steer you in the right direction, but in the end the answer is based on the tests/samples you experiment with/try.

The following are guesses that you'll have to try.
1) I think garnet shellac would be a bit too dark. Anytime you're color matching you want to go from lighter shades to darker. If you're too light, it's easy to darken - not so easy the other way around. If you were going to use shellac, I'd start with an amber/orange diluted to a 4 lb cut. Easy to remove if bad match
2) Using the pic, if I look deep into the piece you want to match, I see some orange which is why I mentioned the shellac above. I'd try to get some of that color in whatever you end up using
3) In looking at the piece you want to match, I see that the pores have a black/dark brown color - common with oak. Shellac doesn't always add color to the pores, so somewhere in your schedule you may want to use a stain that has some pigment in it like Minwax, versus a dye stain.

Sonny may have some other thoughts, but that's what I'm thinking at this point
Bob "Boardman" Borders

Return to “Q&A Forum”