Refinishing 1970s (I think) record player and veneer bleeding after applying Citristrip

Have a questions on finishing, refinishing, or restoring <br />wood furniture or cabinetry? This is the place to ask!

Moderators: AsonnyA, Bob Boardman

Abston
Newcomer
Newcomer

Refinishing 1970s (I think) record player and veneer bleeding after applying Citristrip

Postby Abston » Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:58 pm

#-o I have a 1970s (I think) record player that was painted “walnut” and had the black speckled paint over it. The varnish started to go so I tried to strip and refinish. I sanded it and in the crevices I couldn’t get to, I used Citristrip. The oddest thing happened and I couldn’t remove the Citristrip with mineral spirits on the panels of the doors. I’m pretty sure they’re veneer. It was almost like it kept pulling up stain. I sprayed some KrudKutter on it and just as I suspected the old “stain?” continued to pull thru. Again, only on the panel of the door not the rail or stile which is different wood. I took a scraper and it just ran and ran. I finally got the outline of the Citristrip removed and sanded it. I’m just wondering happened? And should I be cautious in what kind of stain I use? I was planning to use gel stain on the lighter wood to get it to match the panels. But after all that bleeding the doors are more red when they were more brown.

I have a picture but can’t figure out how to upload on my phone. I’ll try my computer

Bob Boardman
Refinish/Repair Wiz
Refinish/Repair Wiz

Re: Refinishing 1970s (I think) record player and veneer bleeding after applying Citristrip

Postby Bob Boardman » Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:22 pm

I can't be sure, but from your explanation it sounds like a dye stain was used. Dye stains don't sit on the surface like pigments do. Some thoughts:

- On a small inconspicuous spot, test putting some laundry bleach on a small spot and let it sit overnight to see if the color is gone or reduced. It sometimes takes a couple coats to get back to a neutral/original wood color

- Again, on a small inconspicuous spot, test applying a coat of a product called Sealcoat. It's diluted shellac, and will "seal" in the old stain. This can be done whether or not you try the bleach.
Step 1: Apply to the test area.
Step 2: Let dry for an hour, then test the gel stain.
Step 3: If you like the color - great. If it doesn't look like you want, then you can immediately remove the gel stain with the appropriate solvent (water for water base, paint thinner for oil base).
Step 4: If you're close, you can either let this coat dry and then attempt using a different shade of gel to get the color you like, or remove as in Step 3
Bob "Boardman" Borders

Abston
Newcomer
Newcomer

Re: Refinishing 1970s (I think) record player and veneer bleeding after applying Citristrip

Postby Abston » Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:51 pm

Thank you! And regular household liquid bleach will work or should I use wood bleach?

Bob Boardman
Refinish/Repair Wiz
Refinish/Repair Wiz

Postby Bob Boardman » Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:19 am

Start with laundry bleach. Depending on results you can then choose your course of action. Laundry bleach easier to use, but not as strong
Bob "Boardman" Borders

Return to “Q&A Forum”