Double A battery left acid caused circle on table

Have a questions on finishing, refinishing, or restoring <br />wood furniture or cabinetry? This is the place to ask!

Moderators: AsonnyA, Bob Boardman

basicbob101
Newcomer
Newcomer

Double A battery left acid caused circle on table

Postby basicbob101 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:18 pm

Greetings folks,

I am a new comer here, but have been involved in refinishing for several years. Have a problem that I have not found a solution for. I placed a Double A batter, negative end down, on an antique oak table, when I picked the battery up some time later, I found that the battery leaked acid onto the table and "scorched" a round ring into the wood. The wood was bleached from the acid and the softer grain eroded.

I need to fill the recessed grain with wood filler but I have never had success staining wood filler after it dried, so I tried mixing some stain with the filler but could not get the right shade to appear, just mud. Tried a trick an old finisher taught me, mixing artist oil paints (burnt umber and Van Dyke brown) to get the shade, mixing that with wood filer and applying. long dry time due to the oil based paints.

I then tried wiping down with Restore-A-Finish and it removed the filler and put me back to square one. tried black latex paint mixed with wood filler to accent the grain which was blackish in the recesses and it looked pretty good, tried wiping down with Formby's furniture refinsher with a CLOTH, not steel wool, in hopes of "smearing" some of the old finish over my repair without any luck. so now I am thinking about stripping the entire piece and using some of the residue to tone or color the spot before applying a wiping varnish. hate to take off the original finish which is beautiful except for the bleached spot. If it was in the center I could hide it with a centerpiece but its close to the edge.

any suggestions as to any other possible remedies or should I go ahead and strip it? appreciate any suggestions. thanxz in advance, bob :(

AsonnyA
Refinish/Repair Wiz
Refinish/Repair Wiz

Re: Double A battery left acid caused circle on table

Postby AsonnyA » Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:01 am

I would probably try applying some tinted shellac to match the original color.

Also, I have a fairly large assortment of different colored shellac sticks, so I might try melting some shellac onto the spot, especially if the spot is as small as I suspect.

Shellac is pretty much compatible with all finishes. Try some tinted de-waxed shellac, first. Sealcoat (by Zinsser) is dewaxed shellac. Sealcoat use to be readily available at our local Lowes or Home Depot, but for some reason it hasn't been available for a few years... not sure why. Check your local hardware store or similar outlets for Sealcoat.

Sonny

basicbob101
Newcomer
Newcomer

Postby basicbob101 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:54 pm

thanxz Sonny, some very good advice.

i used to know an elderly gentleman who did fantastic refinishing on Oak. his formula was to use artist oil paints (raw umber and Van Dyke brown at a 3:1 ratio) mixed with Masuray wood filler (brand no longer available) thinned to a thick solution with gasoline (yes gasoline, he said it was cheaper than mineral spirits, and it was back then). He would paint the surface with this solution and then let it dry. Next he would rub off the excess working across the grain with a piece of a burtlap sack until the surface was clean and all grain filled in. then ready to spray varnish. sounds crazy but i have a set of dining chairs he did over 30 years ago and the still look fantastic.

AsonnyA
Refinish/Repair Wiz
Refinish/Repair Wiz

Postby AsonnyA » Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:35 pm

I work with a lot of salvaged lumber, some will have termites. I've used gasoline to get rid of the termites, but gas has the odor that's hard to get rid of, even in finished projects.

Should you consider to ever use gasoline for a mixture or cleanser on lumber or projects, maybe consider heavy or light naphtha. About 90% of the gasoline blends are heavy and light naphtha. Naphtha has much less odor. Something to keep in mind.

Sonny

Return to “Q&A Forum”