Various wood in vanity- newb

Have a questions on finishing, refinishing, or restoring <br />wood furniture or cabinetry? This is the place to ask!

Moderators: AsonnyA, Bob Boardman

MGLars
Newcomer
Newcomer

Various wood in vanity- newb

Postby MGLars » Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:36 am

I have been given an old vanity- that was painted white. My plan was to strip it and finish with stain and a thick poly to use for a bathroom sink. I have stripped the paint and to my surprise I found different types of wood.

Questions, I have them.
1. Do I use one stain for all wood types and would that still show the differences? Is there a traditional way to approach this?

2. After stripping the wood looks dried out. Do I need to revive it with an oil or just dive in with the stain?

Many thanks!!

PS
I'm trying to load a photo but it is limiting the size to 128kb ?!

Bob Boardman
Refinish/Repair Wiz
Refinish/Repair Wiz

Re: Various wood in vanity- newb

Postby Bob Boardman » Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:36 am

Some thoughts:
1) Wood is an extremely poor material to use as a sink - even with numerous coats of poly. If you're dead set on using this piece for a sink look at Water-Lox for a finish/sealant https://www.waterlox.com/original
2) Different types of wood absorb stain differently. Using one coat of stain on multiple types of wood will produce different shades/colors of stain on the different types of wood. To get a uniform color, pros spray on a coat of a toner or shading stain. You can get close to this by buying a couple bottles of a PreVal bottle sprayer. Total cost for sprayer and 2 bottles would be less than $20. Theyre available in paint and big box stores. Make a mix of 3 parts of finish, 1 part of thinner and 1 or 2 parts of stain (depending on whether you're using a dark or light stain). Spray on surface and let dry overnight. If different types of wood look similar, you can then apply a coat of stain. If there's still a lot of difference spray on another coat of the stain mix, let dry, stain and then finish
3) The reason you apply finish to wood is to keep out moisture. Wood used for furniture is dried or cured to get rid of moisture. So when people say "wood looks dried out", that's the way wood is supposed to be. Don't worry about it.
Bob "Boardman" Borders

Return to “Q&A Forum”