Newbie question about Deft

Have a questions on finishing, refinishing, or restoring <br />wood furniture or cabinetry? This is the place to ask!

Moderators: AsonnyA, Bob Boardman

Hailyx
Newcomer
Newcomer

Newbie question about Deft

Postby Hailyx » Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:30 pm

So I have been chalk painting (I know! I know!) For about a year now and recently started using Deft as it was recommended as a quicker and better finish. I am using the Deft Finishing Spray. The problem I am having is the finishes seem to stick to lamps and dents very easily. What am I doing wrong? Is there a better affordable finish out there to use over the chalk paint?

Thank you!

Bob Boardman
Refinish/Repair Wiz
Refinish/Repair Wiz

Re: Newbie question about Deft

Postby Bob Boardman » Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:43 am

I have to admit I know nothing about chalk paint, but do know a little about Deft spray. The spray is a reduced lacquer. It provides primarily a gloss finish and provides a small amout of protection. Lacquer is known to adhere to most surfaces, and can be removed with lacquer thinner. You should only use Deft and lacquer thinner in very well ventilated areas.
Bob "Boardman" Borders

Hailyx
Newcomer
Newcomer

Postby Hailyx » Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:53 am

Bob Boardman wrote:I have to admit I know nothing about chalk paint, but do know a little about Deft spray. The spray is a reduced lacquer. It provides primarily a gloss finish and provides a small amout of protection. Lacquer is known to adhere to most surfaces, and can be removed with lacquer thinner. You should only use Deft and lacquer thinner in very well ventilated areas.

Do you have any idea why I would be having those problems with it? Why (even after curing for several days) we are still having issues with denting and sticking? I always use light coats and wait until dry between coats. The pieces always feel dry and not sticky to the touch.

AsonnyA
Refinish/Repair Wiz
Refinish/Repair Wiz

Postby AsonnyA » Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:58 am

I am, totally, not comprehending what your problem/problems is/are.

"The problem I am having is the finishes seem to stick to lamps and dents very easily."

I have no idea what lamps and dents you are speaking of, to understand their connection/association to "finishes". Define what "lamps" are. Define what "dents" are. What finish or finishes are you referring to..... the paint finish or the Deft finish?

Again, this statement of yours is not understood by me. ----> "... we are still having issues with denting and sticking."
What do you mean by "denting and sticking" ?

If you suspect the Deft is the root of the problem, then I would suspect the Deft is outdated. All lacquer blends/mixtures have a shelf life. Your particular spray can may be outdated, despite it having recently been on some store's shelf. Not all stores clear their shelves of outdated and/or old product and an unknowing customer can have difficulties with a "defective" (outdated) product. Some numerical codes on cans are often misunderstood, so a typical customer doesn't know how to interpret a code date. If your can doesn't have an expiration date in plain English and you don't understand the code, call Deft and ask. Their tech service number should be on the can's label, somewhere.

Sonny

Hailyx
Newcomer
Newcomer

Postby Hailyx » Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:35 am

AsonnyA wrote:I am, totally, not comprehending what your problem/problems is/are.

"The problem I am having is the finishes seem to stick to lamps and dents very easily."

I have no idea what lamps and dents you are speaking of, to understand their connection/association to "finishes". Define what "lamps" are. Define what "dents" are. What finish or finishes are you referring to..... the paint finish or the Deft finish?

Again, this statement of yours is not understood by me. ----> "... we are still having issues with denting and sticking."
What do you mean by "denting and sticking" ?

If you suspect the Deft is the root of the problem, then I would suspect the Deft is outdated. All lacquer blends/mixtures have a shelf life. Your particular spray can may be outdated, despite it having recently been on some store's shelf. Not all stores clear their shelves of outdated and/or old product and an unknowing customer can have difficulties with a "defective" (outdated) product. Some numerical codes on cans are often misunderstood, so a typical customer doesn't know how to interpret a code date. If your can doesn't have an expiration date in plain English and you don't understand the code, call Deft and ask. Their tech service number should be on the can's label, somewhere.

Sonny

A lamp as in a light? When the items go into the store and are staged for sale the items placed on them are leaving dents and sometimes even sticking. I don't know how else to say that. I have not had this problem with Polycrylic. I don't think my cans are out of date as the finishes look wonderful and the spray comes out fine and once dry are smooth to the touch. The problem is when the finished items are being staged for sale.

Bob Boardman
Refinish/Repair Wiz
Refinish/Repair Wiz

Postby Bob Boardman » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:17 am

Polycrylic is a combo of polyurethane and an acrylic finish. These are basically liquified plastics and dry to a very durable finish. While lacquer is a liquified type of plastic, it contains a much higher, and stronger combo of solvents. As such it isn’t considered a durable finish, and as you’ve found out, can leave marks when heavy items are placed in them
You can remove the lacquer somewhat easily with a a variety of solvent or water base strippers
Bob "Boardman" Borders

Hailyx
Newcomer
Newcomer

Postby Hailyx » Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:23 pm

Bob Boardman wrote:Polycrylic is a combo of polyurethane and an acrylic finish. These are basically liquified plastics and dry to a very durable finish. While lacquer is a liquified type of plastic, it contains a much higher, and stronger combo of solvents. As such it isn’t considered a durable finish, and as you’ve found out, can leave marks when heavy items are placed in them
You can remove the lacquer somewhat easily with a a variety of solvent or water base strippers

Thank you. That was exactly what I was wondering.

Return to “Q&A Forum”