Hardwood Floors

Have a questions on finishing, refinishing, or restoring <br />wood furniture or cabinetry? This is the place to ask!

Moderators: AsonnyA, Bob Boardman

tnyce
Regular
Regular

Hardwood Floors

Postby tnyce » Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:07 am

My son is installing reclaimed hardwood floor in a cabin that he built in Virginia. Question is that the supplier recommends a product called Waterlox for the finish. Has anybody ever used this or can someone recommend another product to use?
Tim

AsonnyA
Refinish/Repair Wiz
Refinish/Repair Wiz

Re: Hardwood Floors

Postby AsonnyA » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:35 am

Original Waterlox is a marine/marine-like oil based finish. I've used it long ago for finishing an exterior door and a few other projects. There may be a water based brand these days, but I haven't researched that. Oil based Waterlox will take some time to dry, hence dust nibs may collect on the surface. This will likely be the case with any slower drying oil finish. If the cabin can be maintained relatively dust free during drying time, then Waterlox is an excellent finish.
https://www.waterlox.com/project-help/g ... 6093690ce7

However, I think there are some faster drying oil finishes and Waterlox may have a representative product. You might call Waterlox and ask.

Lots of floor finishes on the market. More often, these days, I've used Varathane's water based floor finish, but more so for utility projects, not for finer woodworking. Water based products are less likely to penetrate into the wood, but rather pretty much sits on the surface. West coast folks seem to like Penofin for marine finishing, more so than other finishes.

Generally, they're all pretty good products. Hell, you could even apply straight (softened/melted) bees wax and achieve a nice finish, but reapplication/scratch repairs would need to be performed often.

If your son's project is a major endeavor and/or expensive, the lumber supplier should provide a comparative sample of their recommended finish. Have your son bring them a scrap board and test a few different finishes. Contact a flooring company and ask what they recommend for DIYers.... They might even give a few sample applications or show you results of different applications.

Good luck, hope all goes well.
Sonny

tnyce
Regular
Regular

Postby tnyce » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:48 am

Thank you, i will pass the info on to him.
Tim

Bob Boardman
Refinish/Repair Wiz
Refinish/Repair Wiz

Postby Bob Boardman » Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:06 pm

A number of floor finish guys in this area are using a line of water base products from company called Bona. They offer water and oil base floor finishes. They like a water base product called Bona Mega. Easy to use, not overly expensive, can be lightly walked on after 12 hours, non yellowing. When using on oak they add some water base "amber colored" stain, saying it adds "character" to oak floors. Link below

https://www.bona.com/en-US/Bona-Profess ... /Coatings/
Bob "Boardman" Borders

Return to “Q&A Forum”