Grand Father Clock

Have a questions on finishing, refinishing, or restoring <br />wood furniture or cabinetry? This is the place to ask!

Moderators: AsonnyA, Bob Boardman

tnyce
Regular
Regular

Grand Father Clock

Postby tnyce » Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:15 am

A customer brought in Grandfathers clock in. Question is that it came out of a school that when the where redoing the room 20 years ago they never covered the clock. There is paint splatter all over the clock. Without stripping the clock, what can i try to remove the paint? I tried soap and water with fine scotch brite pad not much help. Would minerial spirits or naptha work?
Tim

Bob Boardman
Refinish/Repair Wiz
Refinish/Repair Wiz

Re: Grand Father Clock

Postby Bob Boardman » Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:37 am

1) Try to determine what the finish is. Use a swab dipped in denatured alcohol and rub on a small spot. If finish gets sticky it's shellac (and the clock is probably more than 75 years old). If finish not shellac, dip a swab in lacquer thinner and rub on a small spot. If finish gets sticky it's a lacquer finish. If not the finish is some type of varnish or poly. If it's poly or varnish your job will be a bit easier

2) You can a product called "Goof Off". First test it on an inconspicuous spot to make sure it doesn't remove the finish. If it doesn't, then use an artist's paint brush to put the Goof Off on paint spots. If that's not practical, apply some to a small area, and wipe off. Work in small sections

Let us know how you make out
Bob "Boardman" Borders

tnyce
Regular
Regular

Postby tnyce » Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:37 am

i found out that vinegar with scotch brite worked well. it didn't harm the finish and with a little work removed the paint.
Tim

Bob Boardman
Refinish/Repair Wiz
Refinish/Repair Wiz

Postby Bob Boardman » Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:52 am

Tim
Thx for the follow up
Bob "Boardman" Borders

Return to “Q&A Forum”