Rocking Chair Mechanism

Have a questions on finishing, refinishing, or restoring <br />wood furniture or cabinetry? This is the place to ask!

Moderators: AsonnyA, Bob Boardman

Bob Boardman
Refinish/Repair Wiz
Refinish/Repair Wiz

Re: Rocking Chair Mechanism

Postby Bob Boardman » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:18 am

Bob "Boardman" Borders

tnyce
Regular
Regular

Postby tnyce » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:52 am

I will check them out. thank you

AsonnyA
Refinish/Repair Wiz
Refinish/Repair Wiz

Postby AsonnyA » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:27 am

What's wrong with the one you have? If a part is missing/broken, a local blacksmith or machinist might be able to make it, at a lower price, than buying a whole mechanism.

You may not readily find a replacement, especially in new condition off the store shelf. If you did find one, it would likely be more expensive than you wish. You likely have to find a used one.... which means, buying a used chair and salvaging the mechanism. You may likely find a damaged used chair at a garage sale, on your local Craigslist or the like.... or keep an eye out, for one, on Ebay or Etsy.

I have an old mechanism, as that, but it has lots of surface rust... possibly/probably could be cleaned up with lots of effort. If you were close by (Lafayette, LA), I'd give it to you. For ages, I'd thought to fix the chair, but I still haven't bothered with it. I no longer have a use for the chair or have the drive to, simply, fix (hobby effort) old furniture (for myself, anyway). It's been in storage for 20-30 years, probably. *In the past, I've collected old stuff, as this, with the intention of fixing it, but never get around to it.

*Side note: For a vintage chair, as that, that caned seat looks new. Did you re-cane the seat (pressed-in cane, no doubt!)? I do some caning, as well.

Sonny

tnyce
Regular
Regular

Postby tnyce » Sat May 20, 2017 7:06 am

here is another site that I found. swivel-chair-parts.com. This might be of some help for someone.
Tim

Return to “Q&A Forum”