Butcher Block

Have a questions on finishing, refinishing, or restoring <br />wood furniture or cabinetry? This is the place to ask!

Moderators: AsonnyA, Bob Boardman

tnyce
Regular
Regular

Butcher Block

Postby tnyce » Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:28 am

I just received a Butcher Block in the shop. It is about 2'x 2' x 13 1/2 thick. I have it all stripped down. The customer would like to use it. My question is what would be safe finish to put on it and what type of schedule would you recommend for doing this.
Tim

AsonnyA
Refinish/Repair Wiz
Refinish/Repair Wiz

Re: Butcher Block

Postby AsonnyA » Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:46 am

You stripped it down? ***Did you use a chemical stripper on the top cutting surface????

You definitely should not use any stripper on the cutting surface. You are to simply scrape it clean with a sharp edged blade, then apply mineral oil on the cutting surface. If the cutting surface has been "abused", such that there are gouges, deep scrapes/cuts, etc., from long term use, then you sand it smooth, before applying the mineral oil.

As for as the sides, simply waxing it, with bees wax or parafin and buffing, really well, is all that's needed. You don't really need a typical finish coat on the sides.... and definitely no typical finish coat on the top. If a finish coat is desireable for the sides, I would recommend shellac, more so than anything else.

***If you have used a chemical stripper on the top cutting surface, do whatever is necessary to get any and all stripper residue off the cutting surface, before applying the mineral oil.

***Stripped it down... in your shop!!! What kind of shop do you have and what kind of experience does "this shop" have, for you to be doing a job on a piece that, apparently, you seem to have no clue about working on? I would expect any reasonable shop to know, at least, some basics about butcher blocks, and that "finishing" butcher blocks is not the same as "finishing" a typical piece of household furniture. You should have done a little research, about butcher blocks, before you engaged into a stripping procedure to begin with, if you have, in fact, used a chemical stripper on the top. Since you've asked about a continuing procedure/schedule, I assume you jumped into this project without preliminary basic knowledge, as well.

All is not lost or destroyed, though. You haven't ruined the butcher block. It's simply a good lessen to be learned. If you have used a chemical stripper on the top cutting surface, make sure it is completely cleaned of any stripper residue, before proceeding.

Sonny

tnyce
Regular
Regular

Postby tnyce » Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:53 am

I did use a scraper on it which took me a couple of days of scraping. no chemicals where used on it. sorry for saying stripping it down.
Tim

AsonnyA
Refinish/Repair Wiz
Refinish/Repair Wiz

Postby AsonnyA » Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:03 am

Sorry for jumping to conclusions. I may sound rude, at times, but I like for a poster to do it right, get it right, obtain the best results and be happy with their results.

Sonny

tnyce
Regular
Regular

Postby tnyce » Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:35 am

Sonny, that's alright, I should of explained myself better.
Tim

Return to “Q&A Forum”