You have to be a registered user (logged in) to post and view pictures. If you're not logged in, the camera icon on the topic title and the actual picture(s) in the post do not show up.
Here's the steps to post a picture;
- Open the picture using Microsoft Photo Editor (or the photo/graphics editor of your choice) by clicking 'File', then 'Open', and double clicking on the picture name.
- Then click 'Image', then 'Resize', and select pixels instead of inches.
- If either the height or width is more than 800 pixels, the picture is too large. Change the highest number (either height or width) to 800 or less. You can type in the number or use the percentage arrows to make the picture smaller.
- Now click on 'File', and then 'Save As'. Do NOT press 'Save!' Make sure you click on 'Save As'. Type in a new name for the picture. For example, you can use the same name and add '25' at the end (before .jpg) to indicate it's a reduced version of the original picture.
- After typing in the new name, click on 'Save.' If you don't rename the picture, you'll write over the original, full size picture and lose it.
- With your picture ready to upload, cick on 'New Topic' or 'Post Reply' here on the forum.
- Type in your message.
- Below the box where you type your text, right above the 'Preview' and 'Submit' buttons, there's an 'Add an Attachment' button. Click that and scroll back down under the text entry box.
- Now you should see boxes for Filename and File Comment. Click on the 'Browse' button and find the picture you want to upload from your computer. Double Click on the picture name.
- Add any comments you want to make about the picture in the comment box.
- Click on the 'Add Attachment' button next to the File Comment box.
- The forum will upload your picture as long as it's not too big. If it is too big, you'll see a warning bar at the top of the message box.
If your pictures are too big
You can resize your pictures with various photo editing software like Photoshop, Corel Draw, Snapfire, Irfanview, and others. You may have already have photo editing software on your computer. The editing software that came with your digital camera may be able to resize pictures.
If you don't have a picture editor, you can get editing software on shareware sites such as tucows.com. Irfanview is one of the more popular free photo editing programs available.
To resize a photo with Irfanview:
Select Image > Resize/Resample. You will see a Set New Size button, with a selection of pixels, cm, or inches. Select pixels, and make sure that Preserve Aspect Ratio is selected. Change either the Width or the Height of the picture; the other size will be calculated automatically.
Use the "Save As" option and rename the picture so you don't overwrite the original and lose it.
Cropping a photo in Irfanview:
You also can crop the background out of an image to make the picture smaller. Click and drag a box around the area that you want to include in the picture. Then go to Edit > Crop. The area outside the box will be cropped out of the picture. In other photo editing software, you may have to select a crop tool before clicking and dragging.
As an alternative, you can use one of these websites to resize photos for free:
If you're not logged in, you can't see the picture of my little buddy below;