Trouble stripping old buffett

Have a questions on finishing, refinishing, or restoring <br />wood furniture or cabinetry? This is the place to ask!

Moderators: AsonnyA, Bob Boardman

Emilyh
Newcomer
Newcomer

Trouble stripping old buffett

Postby Emilyh » Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:16 am

Hello,
I started refinishing wood furniture several years ago and have had great results everytime. I am now trying to strip an old Buffett table, probably from the 1920’s and like many old pieces it has a very dark stain. I have used a chemical gel stripper with great success in the past but I am having trouble getting the dark color out of the wood. Especially the round legs. Also, unlike other pieces I have used this product on, the stripper and stain I’m removing is a goopy mess and doesn’t pull up nicely. I have tried twice with stripper and steel wool but they are still very dark. I did buy a 2 part wood bleaching kit but would like some input and suggestions first, if anyone has some knowledge to share. Thanks so much.

Bob Boardman
Refinish/Repair Wiz
Refinish/Repair Wiz

Re: Trouble stripping old buffett

Postby Bob Boardman » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:08 am

Strippers typically remove stains that have pigment in them. The reason for this is that the pigment needs to be mixed with a diluted finish so that it stays in place. Pigmented stains sit "on th and e wood"are used to give an even "paint" like color to the wood, and is translucent. Dye stains go into the wood, and are translucent.

My guess is that you have a dye stained piece. The best way to remove ( or lighten) these stains is bleach.

What I'd try first is an application or 2 of laundry bleach. Apply directly to surface, let sit overnight, and, if needed, apply a 2nd coat and let dry. Once dry wipe down surface with a diluted white vinegar solution, let dry, light sand with a 220 grit, remove dust and stain and/or finish. If laundry bleach doesn't work, then use the 2 part bleach, following directions on can.
Bob "Boardman" Borders

Return to “Q&A Forum”