White ring marks on veneer after stripping

Have a questions on finishing, refinishing, or restoring <br />wood furniture or cabinetry? This is the place to ask!

Moderators: AsonnyA, Bob Boardman

dave_wigwam
Newcomer
Newcomer

White ring marks on veneer after stripping

Postby dave_wigwam » Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:08 am

Hi all. I inherited a veneered coffee table with white ring marks and an ink stain. I stipped off the old varnish with two applications of Rustins Strippit. I then gave the table a wipe down with a well rung out cloth and the rings reappeared. I sanded the top (I think aome stain/ varnish was not removed by the striping), and the rings have faded slightly, but not totally, and I'm nervous that I am nearly through the veneer as when I tried to sand out the ink spot I went through to the chipboard (see picture)
Is there anything else I can try to help remove the white marks and remaining ink stain?
Any help much appreciated!
table lwo res.jpg
table lwo res.jpg (37.53 KiB) Viewed 1885 times

ink.jpg
ink.jpg (35.17 KiB) Viewed 1885 times

FullSizeRender (3).jpg
FullSizeRender (3).jpg (88.63 KiB) Viewed 1885 times

Bob Boardman
Refinish/Repair Wiz
Refinish/Repair Wiz

Re: White ring marks on veneer after stripping

Postby Bob Boardman » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:17 am

First, white marks usually mean that there's water in the finish - not in the wood. So the 1st thing is to make sure you removed all the finish.

To do that wipe the table down with a rag dipped in paint thinner. This will highlight areas where there's still finish. Use your stripper to remove this, or try a stronger stripper, one that has methyl(ene) chloride.

Once all finish is removed, you'll have to bleach out the ink marks. I'd start by wiping the stained area with laundry bleach (wear gloves and eye protection). Let it sit for 6 or more hours. If some stain is still there apply a 2nd or 3rd coat as needed. If you need to apply a 2nd coat, it's usually a good idea to apply the bleach to the entire surface. Once stain is out, wipe surface with a 50 -50 mix of water and white vinegar. Let dry for 24 hours, then LIGHT sand with a 220 grit paper. Remove dust (repeat sanding if needed), and then apply your stain and finish.

Let us know how you make out
Bob "Boardman" Borders

dave_wigwam
Newcomer
Newcomer

Postby dave_wigwam » Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:40 am

Hi Bob, thanks for getting back to me, it's much appreciated. Hopefully I'll make a start on this at the weekend. I'll let you know how I get on.

PS, I wasn't intending to stain, just clear varnish (would it originally have been stained? Will it look odd without?).

Bob Boardman
Refinish/Repair Wiz
Refinish/Repair Wiz

Postby Bob Boardman » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:28 am

Stain is optional though you may want to add some color to the place where you sanded thru. If you want to do that let us know
Bob "Boardman" Borders

dave_wigwam
Newcomer
Newcomer

Postby dave_wigwam » Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:58 am

Thanks Bob, I'll let you know.

ruthj
Newcomer
Newcomer

Postby ruthj » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:19 am

Bob Boardman wrote:Stain is optional though you may want to add some color to the place where you sanded thru. If you want to do that let us know

Definitely looks interesting. I will follow this thread to see how the solution worked out. I've exactly the same problem with a table at office. If this doesn't work out, I will start another thread with detailed pictures of the table. Your explanation does seem like authority on the subject. Thank you!

Return to “Q&A Forum”