restoring

Have a questions on finishing, refinishing, or restoring <br />wood furniture or cabinetry? This is the place to ask!

Moderators: AsonnyA, Bob Boardman

njbr
Newcomer
Newcomer

restoring

Postby njbr » Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:32 pm

HI I am restoring a old oak table. I have sanded it down-up to 220 grit paper. I used a pre stain conditioner on the table. When I used a oil based stain-after I applied the stain and wiped it off-it became blotchy and came starting looking like " rain drops" of stain coming up in some of the areas. What did I do wrong??? I have now resanded it down and don't want to try and stain it again until I figure out what I did wrong.

Bob Boardman
Refinish/Repair Wiz
Refinish/Repair Wiz

Re: restoring

Postby Bob Boardman » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:42 am

Without pics, and just from the description you gave, it sounds like a silicone issue. Silicone is found in many furniture products that call themselves "polishes" like Pledge. Silicone doesn't offer any protection, but rather makes the surface feel "waxy". Silicone also repels just about everything - including finishes. It could be that this piece had been "polished" with a silicone product. You could also just have old wax/oil build up.For the silicone try a shellac barrier coat. It doesn't always work, but it works often enough to try.

I'd try the following:
1) Wipe down all surfaces with a rag dipped in paint thinner. Then wipe dry.
2) Wipe down all surfaces with a rag dipped in a solution of a couple drops of dishwashing soap into a quart of paint thinner. Then wipe dry. This will remove any water or oil base contaminants
3) For the silicone. Wipe down all surfaces with a rag dipped in ammonia (not sudsy ammonia). Then wipe dry
4) Get a product called Sealcoat at any paint/hardware store. Follow directions on can. After the 2nd coat dries, apply your stain
Bob "Boardman" Borders

njbr
Newcomer
Newcomer

Re: restoring

Postby njbr » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:34 am

HI thanks for the information. I will try that on a small area first. I know my Dad had it dipped before it refinish it.. Could that have made a difference?? I am not sure what stain/finish he used but it was VERY thick!!! I thought I had removed most of that!! Thank you so much for the information. I have refinished other oak tables and did not run into this problem>>

Return to “Q&A Forum”