Need to know what's best to do with Found Furniture Before Selling it?

Have a questions on finishing, refinishing, or restoring <br />wood furniture or cabinetry? This is the place to ask!

Moderators: AsonnyA, Bob Boardman

Joyfull
Newcomer
Newcomer

Need to know what's best to do with Found Furniture Before Selling it?

Postby Joyfull » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:49 am

My Fiancé finds the most wonderful antique or mid-century Furniture. He then sells it on one of those Selling Apps online Sites. But first, he gives it a few coats of Mahogany Finish. I love him dearly, but am horrified at what he's doing to beautiful furniture. He paints "cross grain" a lot. And most of the furniture is the color of Country Oak when he begins... He uses Mahogany because it covers a myriad of flaws. He gets more for "refinished" furniture, he believes. But I'm wondering if you Refinishers out there are buying furniture and then refinishing it properly? Would you buy from him for a good amount if he just sells it as is? Or is it better to do a poor Refinish and sell to a Buyer who doesn't care? My hair stands on end, because I'm an Artistic type who appreciates the Designer's original intentions!! By the way, most of his furniture, he sells for only $20.

Share Share
Furniture and Furnishings

Bob Boardman
Refinish/Repair Wiz
Refinish/Repair Wiz

Re: Need to know what's best to do with Found Furniture Before Selling it?

Postby Bob Boardman » Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:55 pm

That's a tough one to answer. A lot depends upon the piece, the condition, the amount of work involved, etc. If your fiance' is using paint to cover up flaws, enjoys the amount of time and the results, and can make money, give him a pat on the back and a big smile. On the other hand if you think he's ruining a $10,000 antique, then it's up to you to get the items appraised. Hope this helps
Bob "Boardman" Borders

AsonnyA
Refinish/Repair Wiz
Refinish/Repair Wiz

Postby AsonnyA » Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:36 pm

> My Fiancé finds the most wonderful antique or mid-century Furniture. He then sells it on one of those Selling Apps online Sites. But first, he gives it a few coats of Mahogany Finish. I love him dearly, but am horrified at what he's doing to beautiful furniture. He paints "cross grain" a lot. And most of the furniture is the color of Country Oak when he begins... He uses Mahogany because it covers a myriad of flaws. He gets more for "refinished" furniture, he believes.

Nothing wrong with recycling furniture. As a matter of fact, it's good to see someone doing the opposite of discarding some that still has some value. Too many folks simply throw away stuff. There's always someone in need or of want.

> But I'm wondering if you Refinishers out there are buying furniture and then refinishing it properly?

I rarely buy used furniture. I think the last things I bought was from an estate sale, 4 old caned oak barrel-like chairs, the cane being damaged. I re-caned them. I don't repair, reupholster or refinish furniture to sell it, either. I'm an upholsterer, also, and I don't collect furniture to reupholster, then sell. Furniture outlets and companies do that.

I've had a few unsavory relatives ask if I'd buy their used furniture, saying, I could reupholster and sell it. Screw that! I.e., typical throw away society mentality, let someone else mess with that if they choose. I assume they can't sell it, so they try to unload on me, at their profit.

I have had a different approach to recycling (I'm too old to do that stuff anymore).... I've collected lumber, lots of lumber, via demolition, (and an assortment of other odds and ends in the process), then make what I like. Folks may like what I make and ask to buy it, otherwise, I've given lots of items to friends and relatives. Decorators know me and I get lots of upholstery work, where they ask me to build something and/or upholster it.... recent job (delivered last night), build wall panels (like bed head boards) to upholster with tufts, for a dance studio room.... the panels wrapped around 3 walls, with bench seats below. Another project (almost finished) is to make a tea table for a Korean friend. The table top was made long ago, she saw the top and asked me to put legs on it.
Table top - https://www.flickr.com/photos/43836144@ ... ed-public/
With unfinished legs - https://www.flickr.com/photos/43836144@ ... ed-public/

> Would you buy from him for a good amount if he just sells it as is?

Me? Probably not. It would have to be a special piece, for me to buy.

> Or is it better to do a poor Refinish and sell to a Buyer who doesn't care? My hair stands on end, because I'm an Artistic type who appreciates the Designer's original intentions!! By the way, most of his furniture, he sells for only $20.

The original idea of the maker-artist is for someone to own and use the furniture they produce. Once the first owner is done with it, then it's great that a second owner takes up ownership, no matter what condition it is in or how that condition came about.

"What" and "What he sells it for" is not the deciding factor. Exactly what are we trying to decide, here? We are trying to decide what YOU like!!!! You, like I, is not his type of customer. There are all sorts of furniture markets. He's filling one of those markets (and obviously doing a pretty good job). You and I don't normally shop there.

> Share Share

**Or is the REAL TRUTH is that you don't likes his beer drinking, and hims making some extra beeer moneys on the side, and that you arre trying to lims.., limsmenate,, elimsinates his beeers moneys, so as to eliminates all his delicioumous, tasty beers??? That's a sin, to deprive hubby of his beers, that way! You better go to confession!! Then go Shares Shares some of those beers beers with hubby hubby, bubbly hubby!

Sonny

AsonnyA
Refinish/Repair Wiz
Refinish/Repair Wiz

Postby AsonnyA » Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:49 pm

Not everyone can afford moderate/high quality, moderate/high end furniture. Many students look for items that are very reasonable and may be somewhat impressive, home decor-wise. Hubby's furniture sales fits that niche.

Not long ago, I gave a 1930s-40s reproduction Victorian style couch to my niece's daughter, for her apartment. She was delighted. When it gets ratty and she asks me to reupholster it, I'll tell her to come over and I'll show her how to do it.

Have you asked hubby if you can help improve on his work (and/or sales/profits) ? Three aspects of business: 1) Production, 2) Sales, 3) Paper work. It's hard for one person to do all three and succeed at all three, unless one limits their business scope. Profitable hobbies, however, are manageable, that way.

Sonny

Return to “Q&A Forum”