Woodworm

Have a questions on finishing, refinishing, or restoring <br />wood furniture or cabinetry? This is the place to ask!

Moderators: AsonnyA, Bob Boardman

oakaged
Newcomer
Newcomer

Woodworm

Postby oakaged » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:00 am

Hi tried to log in a few time, but had to re-register.
Any way my question is, i am still in the process of restoring a chest of draws, but some of the draw fronts have worm damage,
see picture.
I have considered using wood filler but have found it does not take to staining very well, have you any ideas how this can be addressed.

Regards Derek.

Bob Boardman
Refinish/Repair Wiz
Refinish/Repair Wiz

Re: Woodworm

Postby Bob Boardman » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:52 am

Derek - I'm not seeing any pics - try re-posting.

1st: Are you sure the worms are gone?
2nd: Are these long marks along the surface or narrow holes into the wood? If not narrow holes, about how wide?
3rd: Are there a lot of holes concentrated in one area, so that the integrity of the wood is compromised?

If you have relatively narrow holes a good solution is wax sticks. They come in dozens of different colors and cost about $2. You can get them from repair sites (see below) or you can buy regular crayons in an art supply store. After wood is stained and dry, and before finish is applied, you rub these over the holes. They fill the holes in a matching color, and you scrape off excess. You can apply oil base finishes right over them. If using water base finish, then apply a diluted coat of Sealcoat, let dry, light sand, and apply the WB finish.

Here are some repair sites:
http://www.hoodfinishing.com/Products_I ... oducts.pdf
https://woodfinishersdepot.com/touch-up ... ticks.html
http://homesteadfinishingproducts.com/t ... ents-misc/
Bob "Boardman" Borders

oakaged
Newcomer
Newcomer

Postby oakaged » Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:12 pm

Hi Bob, thanks for the information, the worm has hopefully long gone, but have treated the wood just as a precaution.
Their are some holes, and some on the draw fronts that seem to run along the surface of the wood, will try and send the pictures again.
The wax idea seem to be ideal.

Regards Derek.

oakaged
Newcomer
Newcomer

Postby oakaged » Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:03 pm

Hi Bob restarted restoration on the chest of draws, included a couple of pictures of the woodworm damage on the draw fronts,will the hot wax be o/k on the size of the damage.

Regards Derek.

oakaged
Newcomer
Newcomer

Postby oakaged » Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:17 pm

Hi Bob, resized pictures,
Attachments
DSC_3766.JPG
DSC_3766.JPG (87.22 KiB) Viewed 3523 times

oakaged
Newcomer
Newcomer

Postby oakaged » Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:23 pm

DSC_3763.JPG
DSC_3763.JPG (73.46 KiB) Viewed 3523 times

Bob Boardman
Refinish/Repair Wiz
Refinish/Repair Wiz

Postby Bob Boardman » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:01 am

These are some very long wood worm divots. Being a DIY'er, you should try the wax sticks. If for whatever reason they don't work, you can remove the wax with a clothes iron and a rag, so it's a reversible repair.
The only other option I see short of going to a pro, is to custom color some wood filler. But to do this right, you need a very good "color" eye and a lot of experience since the color of the wood filler changes once it hardens.
Bob "Boardman" Borders

oakaged
Newcomer
Newcomer

Postby oakaged » Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:39 pm

Thanks for the information Bob, i will try the hot wax first. When i come to spray with a shellac coating will the wood become darker than the wax, if so would it be advisable to apply the wax slightly darker than the surrounding wood.

Kind regards Derek.

Return to “Q&A Forum”