problems staining parawood

Have a questions on finishing, refinishing, or restoring <br />wood furniture or cabinetry? This is the place to ask!

Moderators: AsonnyA, Bob Boardman

hollowkl
Newcomer
Newcomer

problems staining parawood

Postby hollowkl » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:34 pm

Hi there - I have some unfinished parawood chairs that I started to stain today, but the color is not coming out dark enough. Extra time and more coats don't help. I'm using a oil-based liquid, but the color is nowhere near what I got with conditioned pine and the same stain. I'm trying to match other things I've already stained. Should I change formulas? Like a gel or something?

Thanks

Bob Boardman
Refinish/Repair Wiz
Refinish/Repair Wiz

Re: problems staining parawood

Postby Bob Boardman » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:37 am

Some things to try:

- even though it's "unfinished" it may have a sealer applied which prevents stain from getting 'into' the wood, versus 'sitting' on the wood. I'd test sanding an inconspicuous area (like the underside of a chair) with a 220 grit paper, removing dust, and then applying stain.
- If the above doesn't work, sand and clean and apply a gel stain. It might take a couple applications, but worth a test.
- If the above doesn't work, let the gel stain dry, and then get a product called Sealcoat. It's shellac based. Dilute it with denatured alcohol at a ratio of 2 parts Sealcoat and 1 part denatured alcohol. apply to the test area. It will dry in about 1/2 hour. At this point you can test a variety of stains or gels to get the color you want. If the stain or gel isn't right, remove it before it dries with whatever the appropriate solvent is. The shellac won't be affected by either paint thinner or water, so you'll have a "good" base to test another color stain or gel.

Let us know how you make out
Bob "Boardman" Borders

hollowkl
Newcomer
Newcomer

Re: problems staining parawood

Postby hollowkl » Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:42 pm

Thanks for your reply. So far, the second option, sand and gel stain seems to be working well. It's taking a few coats to get the color depth that I want, but that works out well to smooth out unevenness also. I'm just delighted to be making progress!! Thanks again!

Return to “Q&A Forum”