Restoring a Stromberg Carlson cabinet

Have a questions on finishing, refinishing, or restoring <br />wood furniture or cabinetry? This is the place to ask!

Moderators: AsonnyA, Bob Boardman

Janc
Newcomer
Newcomer

Restoring a Stromberg Carlson cabinet

Postby Janc » Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:14 pm

I am very new to restoring furniture. I got this cabinet from a relative and wanted to fix up the top. I used Formbys furniture refinisher but it also removed the stain does anyone know what stain I need to use. It is a cabinet that held an amfm radio and turntable. Thanks for any help.

Bob Boardman
Refinish/Repair Wiz
Refinish/Repair Wiz

Re: Restoring a Stromberg Carlson cabinet

Postby Bob Boardman » Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:41 pm

We can't tell without a picture
Bob "Boardman" Borders

Janc
Newcomer
Newcomer

Postby Janc » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:02 am

This is a picture of the same model from online. I am having trouble getting my photo's resolution low enough. Thanks for any help.

Janc
Newcomer
Newcomer

Postby Janc » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:15 am

Here is the side of the cabinet. Thanks

Janc
Newcomer
Newcomer

Postby Janc » Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:27 am

It appears that I am not able to attach a picture.

AsonnyA
Refinish/Repair Wiz
Refinish/Repair Wiz

Postby AsonnyA » Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:30 pm

Select one or two, picture reference, and give us the link.

https://www.google.com/search?q=strombe ... 80&bih=841

Sonny

Janc
Newcomer
Newcomer

Postby Janc » Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:00 pm

Here is the link (I hope) to the picture.

https://www.google.com/search?q=strombe ... xVExpIM%3A

It's the cabinet with a radio in the upper right cabinet and a speaker below. The drawer and cabinet on the left are closed. I really do appreciate any help. only the top needs refinishing.

admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:45 pm

IMG_20150923_054829135.jpg
IMG_20150923_054829135.jpg (429.23 KiB) Viewed 7122 times

IMG_20150923_055043.jpg
IMG_20150923_055043.jpg (241.43 KiB) Viewed 7122 times
Admin

AsonnyA
Refinish/Repair Wiz
Refinish/Repair Wiz

Postby AsonnyA » Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:50 pm

I think it's a cherry color, as opposed to red mahogany.

Sometimes, it's hard to tell, because some woods darken with age. It seems too reddish to be red mahogany, which has a hint of brown, in comparison to cherry and the pictures shown.

Can you tell if the interior of the drawer or the drawer bottom is made with the same wood as the exterior? Drawer interiors (secondary wood) aren't generally the same wood or the same quality/grade of wood. If the drawer interior would happen to be the same wood as the top's surface (solid wood or veneer), then you could test a/some stain applications on the drawer (inconspicuous places), before committing to your cabinet's top. If this is the case, sand the drawer's wood to a finished condition, i.e., prepped as the cabinet top, so that the surfaces are as nearly the same as the prepped top.

It would be good to see exactly what condition the top is, though. Otherwise, give us more info, as best you can.... especially relative to color comparisons. Seems the pic provided are similar to this Philco cabinet: http://www.facstaff.bucknell.edu/esanta ... 0-180.html
Page down about 1/4 the way, where the Goop hand cleaner and Restor-a-Finish pics are.... just below those pics is a write-up or description of his work. Compare his work, his color, etc., with what you have to do.

Bob, what you think? Give some more opinions.
Sonny

Janc
Newcomer
Newcomer

Postby Janc » Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:23 pm

The drawer of the cabinet is actually a metal frame for the phonograph. The cabinet below has some sort of black lining. There were no real shelves on the right side (top or bottom), just some plywood sitting on top of some nails and brads. I added shelves (I think my dad would have been proud of that part).

The top was in fairly good shape. I tried to clean it up and carefully sealed some spot with shellac. I waxed it which gave it a nice finish but I had put some scratches in during my attempts to fix it up. That's when I decided to try the Formbys furniture refinisher but I guess it should have been restore a finish. So not may of the varnish is off ( I'm not done with that part yet). And some of the stain is coming off and probably all of it by the time I am done. I will email a picture this weekend of my handiwork. I think I agree with the cherry stain. I was thinking cherry or red mahogany. Thanks for the link to that other cabinet. That was very helpful.

The other question is -what do I finish it with? Varnish?

You guys are a great help!

AsonnyA
Refinish/Repair Wiz
Refinish/Repair Wiz

Postby AsonnyA » Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:46 am

I would think the original finish is lacquer.

Once you get it stained, read the stain instructions as to how to proceed with finishing. After staining, some stains recommend light sanding, before finishing. It depends on what kind of stain you use, so read the instructions on the can of stain, to see what procedure is to be done. If you have questions about the instructions, ther should be a phone number, on the can, that you can call for technical assistance.

I assume the rest of the cabinet, other than the top, is in good shape and doesn't need staining or finishing. Before staining and finishing the top, you might want to drape off the lower cabinet, by taping newsprint around the cabinet, below the top. I use 2" painters blue tape for taping off areas, as this.

If you elect to finish with lacquer, I would suggest using aerosol spray cans of lacquer. Spray lacquer should be available at your local Home Depot, Lowes, or similar hardware/paint store. Other spray finishes are available, also, should you elect another type of finish. Read the instructions for spraying and practice your spraying technique on cardboard or scrap wood, i.e., the sweep of your hand/arm, distance from the surface, etc., in order to get a good smooth coverage coating. Lacquer and shellac dries fast, so take this into consideration, also. For any other finish you may use, follow the instructions as per that spraying.

As per your stain (oil based, water based, etc.), make sure your finish is compatible with the type of stain. This may be addressed within the stain can instructions. For a finish to adhere properly to the stain, light sanding may be required, or you may be able to apply the finish without sanding. Again, what are the instructions on the stain can, for prceeding with finishing. There may be specific instructions for different finishes. And again, if you still have questions, call the tech support, re: phone number on the can of stain, if need be.

Other than this (without seeing exactly what you have, there), I'm not sure what else to recommend or suggest. But probably most importantly, is to practice your spraying ing technique, if you spray, and practice your spraying technique, first, before committing to the cabinet's top.

Sonny

Bob Boardman
Refinish/Repair Wiz
Refinish/Repair Wiz

Postby Bob Boardman » Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:16 am

Sorry to jump in late on this, but I agree with Sonny that this is probably cherry.

Here's a thought that might make things easier for you:

Sonny - what do you think about having Janc use a prepackaged lacquer toner? (see link below - scroll 1/2 way down page of their website). The Master toners are dye based, while the Jet spray toners have dye and pigment. The Jet Spray has a cherry color. The cans are about $8, and it would be worth getting a darker shade and a lighter shade, just to be safe. What do you think?

http://www.shellac.net/behlenfinishingproducts.html
Bob "Boardman" Borders

AsonnyA
Refinish/Repair Wiz
Refinish/Repair Wiz

Postby AsonnyA » Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:02 pm

>
> http://www.shellac.net/behlenfinishingproducts.html

That's an excellent suggeston, Bob. Allows Janc to creep up on the best color/shade match.

Janc, do you understand what Bob has proposed? Do you understand the idea of toning a finish, or a toned finish?

BTW, Bob. Weller Mart has much cheaper shellac flakes, than shellac.net. ... $27 vs $39 for a pound of flakes, if that's of interest.
http://wellermart.com/t/shellac

Sonny

Janc
Newcomer
Newcomer

Postby Janc » Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:55 pm

Yes the rest of the cabinet is in good shape. Actually the top probably was until I wanted to try to get rid of a water stain. I have some experience with staining and finishing but just with polyurethane and polyacrylic. This is my first attempt at trying to keep something close to original. I already keep the sides covered with painters tape and plastic. I am comfortable with the staining and with practice as you suggested I am confident that I should be able to do the spray laquer. For that spray toner you mentioned, I'm guessing that would be doing multiple coats until I got the right shade???

Thanks again for all your help. I will email a picture of the top this weekend. -Jan

AsonnyA
Refinish/Repair Wiz
Refinish/Repair Wiz

Postby AsonnyA » Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:05 pm

> For that spray toner you mentioned, I'm guessing that would be doing multiple coats until I got the right shade???

Correct.

Sonny

admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:57 pm

IMG_20151003_185647896 (1).jpg
IMG_20151003_185647896 (1).jpg (385.67 KiB) Viewed 6971 times
Admin

Janc
Newcomer
Newcomer

Postby Janc » Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:54 pm

The picture above is the top of the cabinet after another pass with the Formbys furniture refinisher. I still need to do it one more time. I know I have to restain it. Should I just try to even out the current stain before I stain it or strip it down??-Jan

Return to “Q&A Forum”