Oak Table repair

Have a questions on finishing, refinishing, or restoring <br />wood furniture or cabinetry? This is the place to ask!

Moderators: AsonnyA, Bob Boardman

spike47
Newcomer
Newcomer

Oak Table repair

Postby spike47 » Sat May 17, 2014 1:54 pm

Hi

I have got a Solid Oak Dining Table that has a couple of cracks down it , in a couple of places as per pictures , question how and if , can I repair/hide these cracks , I was thinking of cleaning out the cracks ( how) I dont want to make them bigger than they are ( about 1mm ) and try to fill them with some wood filler that I remember awile back it came in a tube ! .
any help on this problem will be highly appreciated , and am also having to sand (400grit !) it all back to the base , because some of the Laquer as worn away .

cheers

spike
Attachments
full table view.JPG
full table view.JPG (48.94 KiB) Viewed 1758 times
crack right hand corner.JPG
crack right hand corner.JPG (50.4 KiB) Viewed 1758 times
crack left hand 2.JPG
crack left hand 2.JPG (61.68 KiB) Viewed 1758 times

Bob Boardman
Refinish/Repair Wiz
Refinish/Repair Wiz

Postby Bob Boardman » Sun May 18, 2014 8:54 am

These cracks are very narrow/thin. Adding filler to them and getting it deep enough to stay put over time will be very difficult. Also the filler will probably be noticeable. I'd refinish the top, and then after the topcoat has cured, get a wax woodfill crayon that's a match to the color of the finished top. These crayons give you the ability to get a near perfect color match, and are able to get deeper into the crack, preventing build up of dirt and water. If you weant you could also add a topcoat once the wax has been applied.
Bob "Boardman" Borders

AsonnyA
Refinish/Repair Wiz
Refinish/Repair Wiz

Postby AsonnyA » Tue May 20, 2014 12:38 pm

I suspect the wood was air dried, not kiln dried (Was this table custom made in a hobby shop?). I suspect the breadboards were not quite attached, properly, to properly allow for expansion and contraction of the main table boards.

You'll likely continue to have the flexing of the table top, so a crayon filler would likely be your best bet, since the crayon wax would be flexible, also, to some extent.

For a permanent (partial?) repair, which, at this point, still may not "fix" the existing cracks, you'd likely have to saw off the breadboards and reattach them with slots that allow for (better?) wood movement.

Do you understand the concept of a flexible filler and why one may be necessary or most desirable?

Bob's recommendation(s) is/are best.

Sonny

spike47
Newcomer
Newcomer

Postby spike47 » Tue May 27, 2014 3:42 am

Hi

Thanks for your replies , I ended up filling the cracks with a epoxy mixed with some wood dust , as you can see it is not that bad , but not that good if you know what i mean , it has had 3 coates of polyurethane , I am going to resand it and coat it with Danish Oil ! , not sure waht I can do about being able to see the Cracks , though nto feel them .

cheers

spike
Attachments
Left side repaired reduced.jpg
Left side repaired reduced.jpg (57.04 KiB) Viewed 1742 times

Return to “Q&A Forum”