Refinishing 1960's Dining Table

Have a questions on finishing, refinishing, or restoring <br />wood furniture or cabinetry? This is the place to ask!

Moderators: AsonnyA, Bob Boardman

Miss Kitty
Newcomer
Newcomer

Refinishing 1960's Dining Table

Postby Miss Kitty » Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:22 am

I inherited pecan dining room furniture purchased in the 1960's. All of the furniture is in mint condition, with the exception of the table top (finish is thin in places from years of use). I would like to only clean/sand & spray the table top. Not knowing what finish is on the table, what do I need to use to clean all waxes off the table? My son tells me denatured alcohol could ruin the finish? Also what should I use to give a hard, durable & gloss finish that won't interact with the finish that remains? I really don't want to strip down to the wood. Any thoughts on the best way to refinish the table top in order to be able to use it daily? Thanks.

Bob Boardman
Refinish/Repair Wiz
Refinish/Repair Wiz

Postby Bob Boardman » Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:04 am

Wipe down top with rag dipped in paint thinner, mineral spiriys or naphtha. Then wipe down with a clean rag dipped in a solution of 1 -2 qts water and a few drops of dishwashing soap - like Dawn. Wipe dry.

You can then light sand the surface with a 220 grit paper and vacuum dust. Then apply 3 coats of a waterbase wipe on, gloss poly. I'd dilute the first coat about 2 parts poly to 1 part water. Let dry. and follow directions on can with regard to recoat times.
Bob "Boardman" Borders

gracy741
Newcomer
Newcomer

Re: Refinishing 1960's Dining Table

Postby gracy741 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:43 am

Hello,

If you want to refinish your dining table make sure Its corner is perfectly done or not.You have to clean dust from the surface of table so that it would be helpful forsee mistakes clearly. Don't Spray any type of colour or stain on the table just leave with orignality.
Thanks.

https://eternitymodern.com/products/saa ... 2983722066

Return to “Q&A Forum”