Plz help guide me how to mix to make this

Have a questions on finishing, refinishing, or restoring <br />wood furniture or cabinetry? This is the place to ask!

Moderators: AsonnyA, Bob Boardman

Billfu
Newcomer
Newcomer

Plz help guide me how to mix to make this

Postby Billfu » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:57 am

Dear all,

I'm working in Thanhphuphat Furniture (in Vietnam), I'm looking for a way to make "decorative poly molding" (not sure I call it right), plz see attached photo.

I mixed poly with "rock powder" (just translated from vietnamese) and clay, with many mixture ratio, and then I add a little hardener.

But what I got is a very hard stuff, I want it elastic poly.

Thanks in advance.

P/S. I'm looking for the mixing method via google, but I don't know exactly the name in english, plz tell me if I call it "polyurethane" right or wrong?Image

AsonnyA
Refinish/Repair Wiz
Refinish/Repair Wiz

Postby AsonnyA » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:53 am

Flexible polymer molding?
http://www.bing.com/search?q=pliable+po ... &sp=-1&sk=

A mixing method may be a trade secret or a specific company's secret.

For polymer clay, see this link - http://www.jaedworks.com/clayspot/polyc ... lding.html
See the right side menu, possibly, for mixing rates, if these are applicable. I didn't look at those links.

I think many *craftspersons/craftsmen use polymer clay for making beads and similar crafting materials. I don't know if they are flexible or pliable. *In case you folks in Vietnam fuss over using politically correct terms, as some idiots, here, do?

Otherwise, I'm not sure exactly what you are looking for.

Sonny

Bob Boardman
Refinish/Repair Wiz
Refinish/Repair Wiz

Postby Bob Boardman » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:07 pm

Billy

I'm with Sonny - I don't understand what you're asking for.

1) Do you want to be able to make a flexible mold, that can be used many times to make a hard decorative piece (that is, you can pour stuff into the mold, wait for it to harden and then use the mold again)?
OR
2) Do you want to be able to make a decorative piece that is flexible?
OR
3) Do you want to be able to fill a mold with a polyurethane material, that when hardened will be a a decorative piece?
Bob "Boardman" Borders

Billfu
Newcomer
Newcomer

Postby Billfu » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:55 pm

Hi Bob and Sonny

My company produces talbe, chair, sideboard, occasional... Some items we have to use flexible plastic moldings (such as a round apron of table). We're having our sub-contractors made the plastic. Now my boss said that I should learn how to make that poly so that we don't have to buy from another.

I'm not good at chemical, what I want is to know how to make a flexible polymer moldings, whatever the shape it is. But the requirement is that the finished poly must have wood grain, easy to bend, and can be painted.

I don't care about the materials, the costs.. I just want to know how to make that plastic (like the 1 option of Bob).

I have: poly (a clear liquid that called poly epoxy), rock powder, clay, play sand. I have mixed them one by one, all together... in many ratios, but what i got was just a very hard plastic, I cannot bend it to the round table apron.

I see that in this forum both of you just talk about finishing. But I have been trying a lot to make that poly, I'm stuck, then I searched "wooden furniture forum" in google, it lead me here.

I appreciate if you can help me.

admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:58 pm

Billfu,

Go to google.com and search for "flexible ployurethane casting resin"

You will find many products to choose from that will work the way you need it to. The resin you have now is rigid, not flexible and will not bend to the shape you want. You need a resin that is flexible and can bend.
Admin

Billfu
Newcomer
Newcomer

Postby Billfu » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:28 pm

Thanks a lot admin, for the keyword. I see that admins and mods here are very friendly.

Bob Boardman
Refinish/Repair Wiz
Refinish/Repair Wiz

Postby Bob Boardman » Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:34 pm

Hey Admin

Good Post! ;-) How are you doing?
Bob "Boardman" Borders

broken580
Newcomer
Newcomer

Postby broken580 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:48 am

I've recently acquired a large wooden chest of drawers, very solidly built, unfortunately two of the corner mouldings have at some point been broken away (see photo).

Can anyone advise me where I might be able to buy replacement mouldings, or if such things aren't available, give me a clue on how I might go about making something to fit the gaps?
Buy leather jackets from Sydney leather jackets up to 85% off buy now..limited time offer

Thanks
Sydney Team

Return to “Q&A Forum”