Dark Mahogany Stain

Have a questions on finishing, refinishing, or restoring <br />wood furniture or cabinetry? This is the place to ask!

Moderators: AsonnyA, Bob Boardman

GaryFera
Associate
Associate

Dark Mahogany Stain

Postby GaryFera » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:11 am

It seems that I now have 2 projects with issues that I cannot solve without experienced input.

I am trying to match the color that is shown in the very bottom of the picture of the Duncan Phyfe table top middle section. The majority of the picture shows the current status after applying wood conditioner and 3 coats of Zar stain (merlot coat 1 and dark mahogany for coats 2 and 3). The depth and darkness of color are nowhere near what I am trying to achieve.

I am pretty sure that I will have to strip this table and start over again. But I do not know what I need to do to get the very dark color. Help please.

Gary
Attachments
P#22 - Duncan Phyfe Table A (Marilyn) 15 - Copy.JPG
P#22 - Duncan Phyfe Table A (Marilyn) 15 - Copy.JPG (105.02 KiB) Viewed 3947 times

GaryFera
Associate
Associate

Postby GaryFera » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:31 am

I am adding a different picture related to this situation because the original picture did not clearly enough demonstrate the stain color issue that I was dealing with.

The color on the left is how the table looks right now - the color on the right is what I am trying to achieve.

This project is at a standstill.

Gary
Attachments
P#22 - Duncan Phyfe Table A (Marilyn) 18 - Copy.JPG
P#22 - Duncan Phyfe Table A (Marilyn) 18 - Copy.JPG (57.13 KiB) Viewed 3942 times

Bob Boardman
Refinish/Repair Wiz
Refinish/Repair Wiz

Postby Bob Boardman » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:28 am

Before stripping, I'd use a dark gel stain - something along the lines of brown mahoghany or Walnut. Apply a diluted coat of Sealcoat first, this way you can remove stain before it dries without any damage to existing surface
Bob "Boardman" Borders

GaryFera
Associate
Associate

Postby GaryFera » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:37 pm

Bob, I tried your suggestions with MinWax Walnut get stain and although the piece is somewhat darker it is nowhere near as dark as I need to get to. It does not appear to me that additional coats of the walnut stain will do the trick.

Should I strip back to the bare wood and start over again? If so, is there a sequence of stains that you would recommend? What I have done so far is merlot, dark mahogany, dark mahogany and walnut for a total of 4 coats of stain on top of initial wood conditioner.

Color matching is so difficult.

Gary
Attachments
P#22 - Duncan Phyfe Table A (Marilyn) 19 After WinMax Gel Walnut stain - Copy.JPG
P#22 - Duncan Phyfe Table A (Marilyn) 19 After WinMax Gel Walnut stain - Copy.JPG (78.96 KiB) Viewed 3935 times

Bob Boardman
Refinish/Repair Wiz
Refinish/Repair Wiz

Postby Bob Boardman » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:39 am

If you're going to strip, my schedule would be as follows:
1) Sealcoat (diluted 50/50 with denatured alcohol)
2) A dark dye solution such as TransTint brown mahoghany, dark brown or walnut (you'll have to test to see which one you like best).
3) A coat of diluted Sealcoat
4) A dark stain (it can be a regular stain or a gel stain)
5) repeat step 3
6) A dark gel stain
7) Repeat step 3 and then apply your finish
Bob "Boardman" Borders

GaryFera
Associate
Associate

Postby GaryFera » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:02 am

Bob, unfortunately I only have one TransTint dye on hand and it is Dark Vintage Maple which if course is not really that dark. I cannot buy dyes locally or close by and having to wait a few days will cause me problems since I am trying to complete this project for a customer very soon.

Will a dark stain (red mahogany or brown mahogany or walnut) as step 2 work? Should it be a gel stain?

Gary

AceLongball
Newcomer
Newcomer

Postby AceLongball » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:27 am

Hi Gary,

1) Strip
Then I would first start by mixing
a) 1 part walnut to 5 parts(or more)red mahogany, test on a small portion of table.
Add walnut as needed to darken to preferred color.

GaryFera
Associate
Associate

Postby GaryFera » Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:00 pm

Thank you for the guidance. I need all the help I can get these days.

Gary

Return to “Q&A Forum”