Problems with Silicone

Have a questions on finishing, refinishing, or restoring <br />wood furniture or cabinetry? This is the place to ask!

Moderators: AsonnyA, Bob Boardman

GaryFera
Associate
Associate

Problems with Silicone

Postby GaryFera » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:25 am

I am now experiencing my third project in the last few month that were impossible to either stain or dye because the antique had been presumably sprayed with a furniture cleaner like Pledge that left silicone in the pores of the wood.

After stripping (which did not work well) and sanding completely the application of wood stain or wood dye produced an unacceptable result. I had to sand again and simply top coat the projects.

Is there any way to test after sanding that there is silicone present in the wood pores?

Thanks.

Gary

Bob Boardman
Refinish/Repair Wiz
Refinish/Repair Wiz

Postby Bob Boardman » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:58 am

Gary

There's no real test for silicone. The 3 methods to deal with it are to either A) try to clean it off, or B) seal it in, or C) add silicone or "fish-eye remover" to your stain and finish.

Note: If you opt for C, the equipment (brushes, mixers, containers, spray gun and nozzles, etc.) will always thereafter have to be used with a fish-eye remover. If you're lucky a goodsoaking in lac thinner can sometimes remove the silicone from our gun & needles, but never from brushes.

Once the wood is stripped you can try scrubbinbg with a TSP solution. The other is to seal it in with shellac. I find that rubbing all aufaces with lacquer thinner before spraying shellac, seems to work.
Bob "Boardman" Borders

GaryFera
Associate
Associate

Postby GaryFera » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:54 am

Bob, thanks for the education. This has been a very frustrating experience. I learn something new every day and this was a tough lesson.

Gary

Paul S
Finish Wiz
Finish Wiz

Postby Paul S » Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:59 am

Silicone contamination is easy to counteract when refinishing furniture and cabinetry. Just add a little Smoothie to your stains and solvent based finishes and they will work like normal. Smoothie lowers the surface tension of the finish product to match the silicone contamination which eliminates fisheyes. Smoothie II is for catalyzed finishes.

If the surface is not contaminted with silicone, using Smoothie will have no effect, good or bad. You won't be able to tell. Some finishes even contain silicone as an additive to make it more scratch resistant and have a silkier feel.

I have always had good luck cleaning my spray equipment and containers after using Smoothie. I've never seen any evidence of any sort of problem with the equipment or spray area. It makes sense that a brush would be more difficult to clean.
Paul

GaryFera
Associate
Associate

Postby GaryFera » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:06 am

Paul, thank you for the feedback. This is new information for me to add to my list of solutions.

Gary

Return to “Q&A Forum”