Stain Color Issue

Have a questions on finishing, refinishing, or restoring <br />wood furniture or cabinetry? This is the place to ask!

Moderators: AsonnyA, Bob Boardman

GaryFera
Associate
Associate

Stain Color Issue

Postby GaryFera » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:30 pm

I am about to abandon this project but thought it was at least worth trying to understand what went wrong.

This project is to refinish an old dresser that it is solid wood and not veneer. Normally that would be very good but it was very inexpensive so it must not be quality wood and I am having enormous difficulty staining the drawer fronts.

The drawer fronts had been sanded completely and the wood (do not know what kind of wood this is) looked good as shown in the picture below. When I stained it, it looked awful so I sanded it back again and applied MinWax Wood Conditioner before staining with MinWax Jacobean #2718 again. Sadly it still looks awful as shown in the picture below with part of the drawer front looking black and part looking brown.

I plan to abandon this project unless there is some solution to this problem.

Thanks.

Gary
Attachments
DSCF0003.JPG
Sanded Drawer Front
DSCF0003.JPG (25.12 KiB) Viewed 2718 times
DSCF0002.JPG
Stained Drawer Front
DSCF0002.JPG (36.46 KiB) Viewed 2718 times

AsonnyA
Refinish/Repair Wiz
Refinish/Repair Wiz

Postby AsonnyA » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:15 am

I would think the drawer fronts probably originally had a veneer on it and it has been removed. The base wood seems mis-matched, which would be typical, since it would have never been seen originally, anyway, if veneered.

Surmising (guessing?) your results:
1) Despite sanding, there may likely still be some residual glue on it, preventing proper conditioner/stain application.

2) The base wood is 2nd/3rd grade, so it's uniformity, for finish applications, is not even.... OR the boards seem to be a partially quartersawn/partially through cut.

3) The 3 base wood boards, of that drawer, may not be all the same kind of wood, but this would be unlikely, even for a low-end piece of furnitue.

Your results just appear to be that of trying to stain/finish the basewood, after a veneer has been removed from it.

Sonny

AsonnyA
Refinish/Repair Wiz
Refinish/Repair Wiz

Postby AsonnyA » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:29 am

>I plan to abandon this project unless there is some solution to this problem.

An option: Sand down and apply veneer to the drawer fronts.

Sonny

Bob Boardman
Refinish/Repair Wiz
Refinish/Repair Wiz

Postby Bob Boardman » Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:03 pm

Sonny's given you good advice, but before going to veneering, I'd apply a coat of Sealcoat, let dry, sand lightly with a 400 grit paper, then apply your stain. The wood conditioner has seeped into the wood (which as Sonny mentioned is 3rd or 4th grade - i.e., it will suck up a lot of wood conditioner). The shellac has more solids content, so that it will do a better job of sealing the surface.
Bob "Boardman" Borders

GaryFera
Associate
Associate

Postby GaryFera » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:29 am

Sonny, welcome back.

Sonny and Bob, thank you for your advice.

This dresser is simply not of sufficient quality to warrant my re-veneering the drawer fronts nor do I yet have that skill. But I do want to learn how to do that. The analysis of the poor quality of the substructure wood is right on and I need to pay more attention when buying antiques.

I did not get a chance to try the SealCoat approach but appreciate understanding better why that would have improved the staining process.

What I ended up doing was simply clear top coating the piece after substantial sanding. Even the poor quality wood looks okay (not awesome) this way.

Lessons learned. Thanks.

Gary

AsonnyA
Refinish/Repair Wiz
Refinish/Repair Wiz

Postby AsonnyA » Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:06 am

Well, you don't want to practice your learning of veneering on a nice piece of furniture. Practice on low end furniture.

Even self-adhesive veneer may be an easy fix option: http://www.rockler.com/articles/refacin ... veneer.cfm

Sonny

GaryFera
Associate
Associate

Postby GaryFera » Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:23 pm

Thanks, Sonny. This is a good suggestion which I will get into sooner rather than later.

Gary

Return to “Q&A Forum”