Quarter Sawn Oak

Have a questions on finishing, refinishing, or restoring <br />wood furniture or cabinetry? This is the place to ask!

Moderators: AsonnyA, Bob Boardman

GaryFera
Associate
Associate

Quarter Sawn Oak

Postby GaryFera » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:18 am

I have stained the table top shown in the attached picture. This is quarter sawn oak with awesome grain but I am having trouble with one of the oak boards (middle of the picture) that does not appear anywhere near as dark as the rest of the table top. I did not do any wood conditioning but I did aggressive sanding because this was solid oak.

Any input on how I could darken this section of the table top would be appreciated. Thank you.

Gary
Attachments
DSCF0001 - Copy.JPG
Quarter sawn oak table top with stain variation
DSCF0001 - Copy.JPG (42.8 KiB) Viewed 1582 times

Bob Boardman
Refinish/Repair Wiz
Refinish/Repair Wiz

Postby Bob Boardman » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:06 am

Some thoughts:

1) Sand that section with a coarser grit paper and apply stain.
2) Repeat, #1 above, put when stain is applied, while still wet, rub this section with 0000 steel wool to work stain into grain.
3) Use a gel stain that's darker than the other sections, but still of a simialr tone.

Before doing any of these, test on the reverse side of the board
Bob "Boardman" Borders

GaryFera
Associate
Associate

Postby GaryFera » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:11 pm

Thanks, Bob. The gel stain approach helped. Lesson learned for the future.

I am working on another piece that is solid oak (but not quarter sawn oak). I did not use wood conditioner on the piece above but perhaps I should on this piece to help even out the color. My one experience with using Zinsser SealCoat diluted 50% with denatured alcohol was a problem in that the stain was much lighter than anticipated.

Can I dilute the Zinsser SealCoat even more to encourage the stain to stay darker?

Gary

Return to “Q&A Forum”