Woodgrain with Paint

Have a questions on finishing, refinishing, or restoring <br />wood furniture or cabinetry? This is the place to ask!

Moderators: AsonnyA, Bob Boardman

GaryFera
Associate
Associate

Woodgrain with Paint

Postby GaryFera » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:32 pm

I am in the process of refinishing a small walnut veneer desk that had previously been painted white. Ugh. After stripping and thoroughly sanding (so I thought), I have now discovered that the white paint has gone so deeply into the grain that perhaps it will never come out. The pictures don’t show the problems well as in real life of course.

I am not at all sure what to do. Surely if I continue sanding I will cut through the veneer. It is not clear if I stain the piece in a dark walnut that the white paint specs will also be covered.

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thank you.

Gary
Attachments
P#11 - Small Antique Desk - 6 - Copy.JPG
P#11 - Small Antique Desk - 6 - Copy.JPG (42.99 KiB) Viewed 1671 times
P#11 - Small Antique Desk - 7 - Copy.JPG
P#11 - Small Antique Desk - 7 - Copy.JPG (37.62 KiB) Viewed 1671 times

Bob Boardman
Refinish/Repair Wiz
Refinish/Repair Wiz

Postby Bob Boardman » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:07 am

Gary

Some thoughts in no particular order:

1) try some stripper placed on a brass bristle brush. The brass bristles won't leave scratches in the wood, but can remove some/all of the paint left in the pores.

2) on a small inconspicuous spot, apply some diluted (1 to 1) Sealcoat or shellac. When dry, apply some stain to the test area. If the stain covers the white paint in pores - Home Run! If not, remove with rag dipped in whatever the solvent is for the stain, before the stain dries. You can remove the shellac with ammonia or den alcohol if you need/want to. PS: Orange (amber) shellac adds a real nice, warm tone to walnut.

3) try #2 above with a gel stain - they act like a glaze, and are thicker.
Bob "Boardman" Borders

GaryFera
Associate
Associate

Postby GaryFera » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:20 pm

Bob, your third suggestion is the home run. That solved the problem almost completely. Thank you. Big lesson learned is to avoid antiques that have been painted.

Your expertise is much appreciated.

Gary

Return to “Q&A Forum”